Intrinsyc Open-Q 820 system-on-module was introduced in 2017 with a Qualcomm Snapdragon 820 processor, 3GB RAM, and a built-in wireless module for 802.11ac WiFi 5, and Bluetooth 4.1 connectivity.
The company has now announced an almost identical ultra-compact module but based on Qualcomm Snapdragon 820E and featuring 4GB RAM. Open-Q 820Pro μSoM is a drop-in replacement for Open-Q820 requiring only some software changes. Snapdragon 820E is said to deliver 9% faster CPU and 5% faster GPU speeds at the same power consumption compared to Snapdragon 820.
Open-Q 820Pro μSoM specifications:
- SoC – Qualcomm Snapdragon 820E (APQ8096SG) Embedded Platform with four Kryo cores including 2x cores @ up to 2.342GHz, and 2x cores @ up to 1.6GHz, Adreno 530 GPU @ 652.8 MHz, Hexagon 680 DSP @ 825 MHz
- System Memory – Dual-channel 4 GB LPDDR4 @ 1866 MHz (PoP)
- Storage – 32 GB UFS 2.0 1-lane gear3 flash
- Pre-certified 802.11 b/g/n/ac 2×2 MU-MIMO WiFi 5 and Bluetooth 4.1 module with u.FL antenna connector
- Qualcomm IZat Gen 8C chip for GPS & GLONASS with u.FL antenna connector
- 3x 100-pin board-to-board connectors with the following interfaces:
- 2x MIPI-DSI 4-lane, up to 3840×2400 @ 60 Hz
- 1x HDMI 2.0 up to 4K @ 60 Hz
- Up to 3 concurrent displays using 2 LCD panels and one external display
- Audio – 1x SLIMbus supporting WCD9335 audio codec (external), up to 3x I2S interfaces
- Camera – 3x MIPI-CSI 4-lane, dual ISP, up to 28MP
- USB – 1x USB 3.0 client or host, 1x USB 2.0 client or host
- 2x PCIe v2.1
- 8x BLSP 4-pin port configurable as I2C, SPI, UART or GPIO
- LED driver outputs
- Power Supply – 3.6V to 4.2V input voltage; PMI8996 power management and battery charging chip
- Dimension – 50 x 25mm
- Temperature Range – -10°C to +70°C
The company has also upgrade its software offering with the module supporting Android 9 instead of Android 7 at Open-Q 820 launch in 2017, as well as Debian Linux. Some public documentation has been released by the company.
Intrinsyc also provides a development kits with Open-Q 820 μSoM development board / carrier board, Open-Q 820Pro μSoM, and an optional LCD display.
Existing customers with products based on Open-Q 820 may benefit from the upgrade to Open-Q 820E either for high performance, or lower power consumption for a given performance level.
Intrinsyc Open-Q 820Pro SoM can be ordered now for $259, and the development kit for $499 (without LCD display) with delivery scheduled for early July. More details and purchase links can be found on the product page.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.
|Support CNX Software - Donate via PayPal or cryptocurrencies, become a Patron on Patreon, or buy review samples|