Ugoos X2 Cube is a tiny Android 9.0 TV box powered by the latest Amlogic S905X2 processor coupled with 2GB RAM and 16GB flash storage. The new Amlogic processor happens to have a USB 3.0 port which provides good storage performance, and the box is also equipped with a Gigabit Ethernet port, which should make the device especially suitable for network storage beside the usual 4K HDR video playback or streaming offered by any typical Amlogic S905X2 TV box.
However in most cases, the firmware provided for such TV boxes does not offer an option to easily configure a SAMBA server (aka Windows network share), so you’d need to either mess up with the firmware configuration yourself, or install a paid app. Ugoos is different since they long have had the option to enable NFS & SAMBA client and/or server in the settings, and Ugoos X2 Cube is no different.
- SoC – Amlogic S905X2 quad core Arm Cortex-A53 with Mali-G31 MP2 GPU
- System Memory – 2GB LPDDR4 RAM
- Storage – 16GB eMMC flash, microSD card slot up to 32GB, HDD via USB 3.0 port
- Video Output – HDMI 2.1 output up to 4K @ 75 Hz with HDR, 3.5mm AV port (composite)
- Video Codecs – VP9 Profile-2 up to 4K 60fps, 10-bit H.265 up to 4K 60fps, AVS2-P2 up to 4K 60fps, H.264/AVC up to 4K 30fps, H.264 MVC up to 1080p60, MPEG-4 ASP up to 1080p60 (ISO-14496), etc..
- Audio – Analog stereo audio via AV port, digital audio via HDMI, and optical S/PDIF
- Connectivity – Gigabit Ethernet, dual band 802.11 b/g/n/ac WiFi 5, Bluetooth
- USB – 1x USB 3.0 port, 1x USB 2.0 OTG port
- Misc – IR expansion port, reset pinhole
- Power Supply – 5V via micro USB port
- Dimensions – 11 x 6.2 x 2.2 cm
- Weight – 89 grams
Ugoos X2 Cube ships with a power adapter, HDMI and USB cables, a remote control, and IR receiver extension, a WiFi antenna, and a user manual.
I discovered the new TV box / stick on GeekBuying where it is currently sold for $67.99 including free shipping. I could not find it on other websites, including Ugoos’ own website at the time of writing. [Update: X2 Cube is now listed on GearBest for $54.99]
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.
8 Replies to “Ugoos X2 Cube Android 9.0 TV Box also Serves as a SAMBA Server”
If that’s a real quad-2.0 GHz CPU, it could be a nicely priced general-purpose machine supporting bursts, with quite some RAM and flash. I’m tempted just to give it a try… At least it has a small enclosure. There’s a photo of the board inside on the gearbest site. It could for example be nice to replace my aging web server at home.
On the photo, a small lithium battery is visible inside, I’m wondering if they’re using it for the RTC, as it looks quite big for an RTC battery.
I just checked and balbes150 did libreelec images for 905×2, but didnt found any test results.
Noted that as well, but no-one really uses rechargeable Li-Ion batteries for RTC, due to the cost. But it doesn’t look big enough to be able to power the device itself, so it’s a bit of a mystery.
Maybe they’re using it to cover temporary micro-USB powering issues, but that would add to the cost, much more than having a regular jack.
It’s indeed an RTC battery, it just looks big on the photo.
Already bought from GearBest Co.+ W’ll see it whats happen when its arrive!
Well according to Freaktab Forum’s reviews;sound is good
Showing 16 hrs $52.99 offer to me on Geekbuying
Seems the X3 models are getting updated
” Ugoos X3 Cube 2G+16G, X3 Pro 4G+32G, X3 Plus 4G+64G Android 9.0 Amlogic S905X3 Smart TV Boxes get a new hardware revision. New devices have a new PCBA production process, which brings better construction of the whole device and provides better long-life characteristics. ”
” Among noticeable upgrades there are some changes too:
1. We have replaced an micro USB Port with a newer USB type-c DC connector
2. We have added another IR port in addition with ability to connect the wired IR port. New IR port now placed on the front side near TF card slot.
All firmware updates related to old version are applicable for new revision and vice-versa. “