MINIX has launched several Intel-based mini PCs in recent years, but while their lower-end models such as MINIX NEO Z83-4U were fanless, their Apollo Lake (NEO N42C-4) and Gemini Lake (NEO J50C-4) mini PCs all came with a fan, albeit a pretty quiet one.
But the company demonstrated a new fanless Gemini Lake mini PC at IFA 2018 with a new approach to thermal cooling compared to their previous fanless design. MINIX NEO G41V-4 mini PC is powered by an Intel Celeron N4100 quad-core processor coupled with 4GB DDR4 RAM, 64GB eMMC flash, and an easy to access M.2 SSD expansion slot.
MINIX NEO G41V-4 specifications:
- SoC – Intel Celeron N4100 quad-core Gemini Lake processor @ with Intel UHD Graphics 600
- System Memory – 4GB DDR4 RAM @ 2400 MHz (soldered)
- Storage – 64GB eMMC 5.1 flash (soldered), M.2 2280 SATA 3.0 slot, MicroSD card slot
- Video Output
- HDMI 2.0a up to 4Kp60
- DisplayPort up to 4Kp60
- VGA up to 1080p
- Audio – 3.5mm headphone jack, digital audio via HDMI
- Connectivity – Gigabit Ethernet, dual-band WiFi 5 802.11ac 2×2 MiMO with antenna internas, Bluetooth 4.2
- USB – 2x USB 3.0 ports, 2x USB 2.0 ports
- Misc – Power Button, Kensington lock
- Power Supply – 12V via power barell jack
MINIX NEO G41V-4 will run Windows 10 Pro and is designed with 24/7 operations with their business customers who may use the mini PC for applications such as digital signage. Contrary to the earlier model were SO-DIMM RAM sticks were installed or replaced, the RAM is soldered albeit upgraded from DDR3 to DDR4. One good point is that the M.2 SSD socket is easily accessible via a small door on the bottom of the enclosure.
At first, I thought the ventilation holes are good for cooling, but this may cause troubles with dust for something that’s supposed to run 24/7. However, in the video below from Notebook Italia, a MINIX representative explains the design relies on a dust-resistant meshing internally so dust will not go inside. As usual, a VESA mounting kit will be provided with the mini PC.
NEO G41V-4 will be available in about 5 weeks for 270 Euros, which should convert to 270 dollars based on pricing for previous MINIX mini PCs.