reMarkable digital notepad and e-reader was unveiled in 2016, and designed to feel like using actual paper sheets. The device came with a single-core Cortex-A9 processor, a 10.3″ E-Ink display with 1872×1404 resolution, and WiFi connectivity to backup your notes and/or drawings to the cloud or mobile phone.
The company is now back with reMarkable 2 e-Paper tablet equipped with a faster and more efficient dual-core Cortex-A7 processor, 1GB RAM, a second-generation CANVAS 10.3″ e-Paper display with the same 1872×1404 resolution but lower latency. The second-generation e-Paper tablet also benefits from a thinner design and much-improved battery life.
reMarkable 2 specifications:
- SoC – Dual-core Arm processor @ 1.2 GHz (possibly NXP i.MX 7Dual processor)
- System Memory – 1GB LPDDR3 RAM
- Storage – 8GB internal storage good for around 100,000 pages
- Display – 10.3″ monochrome digital paper “CANVAS” capacitive touch display partially based on E-Ink Carta technology with 1872×1404 resolution (226 DPI); 21ms latency
- Connectivity – Dual-band WiFi
- USB – 1x USB-C port for charging
- Battery – 3000 mAh battery good for two weeks of use, 90-day standby
- Dimensions – 246 x 187 x 4.7 mm
- Weight – 403.5 grams (heavier than reMarkable 1 due to aluminum case)
The display comes with Marker (Plus) stylus with 4096 levels of pressure and optional eraser function. It runs Codex Linux-based operating system optimized for low-latency digital paper displays and supports PDF and ePUB documents. Note and file syncing between reMarkable tablet is possible on MacOS, Windows 7 and newer, iOS, and Android.
reMarkable 2 can be pre-ordered today for $399 including DHL shipping (to the US?), a “Marker” pen, and a folio cover. Shipping is expected to start in July. You can add $50 to get the “Marker Plus” pen including the eraser function. Those are pre-order prices, and eventually, retail prices will be quite higher for the accessories:
- Marker – $49
- Marker Plus with built-in eraser – $99
- Folio Cover – $69
- Book Folio Cover – $99 (this cover can remain attached while working)
reMarkable 2 price will stay at $399 after the pre-order period, but you’ll likely want to add a pen unless you only plan to use it as an e-Reader… More details can be found on the product page.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.