Qualcomm has recently unveiled an earbud reference design based on the company’s QCC5141 low-power premium-tier Bluetooth SoC that supports TrueWireless Mirroring and Hybrid Active Noise Cancellation (ANC).
Qualcomm TrueWireless Mirroring technology relies on only one earbud to maintain the Bluetooth connection with the smartphone, while the secondary bud mirrors the connected bud. If the connected earbud is removed, the secondary earbud assumes the connection with zero interruption. The technology enables both a better, more stable connection and lower power consumption
Hybrid Active Noise Cancellation (ANC) is designed to provide high-quality immersive experiences and enable natural leak-through of noise to allow for awareness of surroundings. Qualcomm ANC is fully integrated into this QCC5141 chip to reduce the complexity, cost, and PCB space of adding ANC to earbuds and hearables.
Key features and specifications:
- WiSoC – Qualcomm QCC5141 single-chip Bluetooth SoC with power management, dual audio DSP @ 120 MHz, application processor, Bluetooth RF, GPIO, and audio inputs and outputs
- Connectivity – Bluetooth 5.2; Max. RF Tx Power: ~12dBm typ., Rx sensitivity (BR): ~95dBm typ.
- Audio – 10mm 32Ω speaker
- User interface – 1-button sensor touch control and LED user interface
- Sensor – Infrared sensor for in/out of ear detection
- Qualcomm TrueWireless Mirroring technology with 30+ meters range outputs, 50+ meters range indoor, support for dynamic role switching
- Support for Qualcomm Hybrid ANC
- cVc 2-mic echo cancellation and noise reduction technology for better audio when in a voice call
- Amazon Tap-to-talk Voice Assistant for Android
- Support for voice prompts
- Battery – 85mAh / 545mAh battery (earbud/charging case)
- Certification – FCC Pre-Certification Testing
Qualcomm provides a binary image using ADK20.2 with support for modifications via the ADK (Audio Development Kit ) workspace, and software OTA is supported via GAIA v3 protocol.
The kit ships with a welcome guide, left and right earbuds, ear interface rubbers (small, medium, large), a charger case, and a USB cable.
Qualcomm QCC5141 earbud reference design looks almost too good for a reference platform, and I expect some companies may just use it as it is and just stick their logo on the earbuds. More details may be found on the product page and the press release.