Arduino Portenta Machine Control is a low-power, industrial control unit powered by Arduino Portenta H7 board and designed to drive equipment and machinery through digital and analog I/O exposed through terminal blocks.
The industrial control unit adds to the Arduino Pro family that was introduced in 2020 with support for the Arm Pelion IoT platform, the launch of the STM32H7-powered Arduino Portenta H7 industrial board, and joins another application-specific solution, namely the Arduino Edge Control board for smart agriculture launched last month.
Arduino Portenta Machine Control specifications:
- Portenta H7 board with
- MCU – TMicro STM32H747XI Cortex-M7 @ 480 MHz + M4 @ 200 MHz MCU with 2MB dual-bank Flash memory, 1 MB RAM, Chrom-ART graphical hardware accelerator
- System Memory – 8MB SDRAM
- Storage – 16MB QSPI NOR Flash
- Connectivity – 10/100M Ethernet RJ45 port, WiFi & Bluetooth LE with u.FL antenna connector
- USB – 1x USB Programming Port
- I/O via push-in terminal blocks
- 8x digital input @ 24V DC
- 2x channels encoder readings
- 3x Analog for PT100/PT1000/J/K temperature probes (3-wire cable with compensation )
- 3x Analog input (4-20mA/ 0-10V/NTC 10K)
- 8x digital output @ 24V DC up to 0.5A (short circuit protection)
- 4x analog 0-10V (up to 20mA output per channel)
- 12 programmable digital I/O (24V logic)
- CAN Bus
- Misc – Embedded RTC
- Power Supply – 24V DC +/- 20% via push-in terminals
- Dimensions – 170 x 90 x 50 mm (DIN rail compatible housing)
- Weight – 186 grams
- Temperature Range – -40°C to +85°C
- CE, FCC and RoHS certified
The Portenta Machine Control can leverage the Arduino framework, enable features such as predictive maintenance and AI use cases thanks to the powerful STM32H7 microcontroller, and with connectivity features like Ethernet and WiFi, allow the collection of real-time data and remote control of equipment.
Some of the equipment that can be fitted with Arduino Portenta Machine Control include labeling machines, form and seal machines, cartoning machines, gluing machines, electric ovens, industrial washers and dryers, mixers, etc… Arduino’s industrial control unit is now available for purchase for €279/$335 on the Arduino store.
More information can be found on the product page on Arduino Pro website.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.