While there’s a fair amount of AMD mini PC’s, few target the low-cost segment of the market. Maxtang MTN-FP50 offers a cheaper option with either AMD 3020e dual-core APU or AMD Ryzen Embedded R1305 dual-core processor, and pricing starting at around $250 shipped with 4GB RAM and 128GB storage.
The mini PC is equipped with two HDMI ports for dual 4K monitor setups, Gigabit Ethernet, five USB 3.0/2.0 ports, and can be upgraded in various ways thanks to SO-DIMM sockets for up to 64GB RAM, M.2 socket for SSD, SATA port for a 2.5-inch drive, and another M.2 slot for the wireless module.
Maxtang MTN-FP50 specifications:
- Mobile processor – AMD 3020E APU with 2-core/2-thread processor @ 1.2GHz / 2.6 GHz (Max Boost frequency, 3x CU Radeon Vega 3 graphics @ 1.0 GHz ; 6W TDP (The manufacturer offers optional AMD 2500U or 3500U 15W processor)
- Embedded processor – AMD Ryzen Embedded R1305G 2-core/4-thread @ 1.5 GHz / 2.8 GHz; 3x CU Radeon Vega 3 graphics cores @ 1.0 GHz; 8-10W TDP
- System Memory – 4GB or 8GB DDR4 via 2x SO-DIMM sockets (up to 64GB)
- Storage – 128GB or 256GB M.2 2280 SSD, 1x SATA III port for 2.5-inch drive
- Video Output – 2x HDMI 2.0 output up to 4Kp60
- Audio – 3.5mm audio jacks for microphone and headphone; Realtek ALC662 audio codec
- Networking – Gigabit Ethernet RJ45 port via RTL8111H controller, M.2 wireless module for WiFi 5 and Bluetooth connectivity
- USB – 3x USB 3.0 ports, 2x USB 2.0 ports
- Misc – Power button
- Power Supply – 12V DC via a power jack
- Dimensions – 130 x 128 x 32 mm
I’m not sure about the type of SSD used. The product description on Aliexpress says an M.2 SATA drive is included, but the manufacturer’s product brief lists an M.2 socket for NVMe SSD.
The mini PC comes with Windows 10 64-bit pre-installed but also supports Linux 64-bit. The device ships with a VESA mount, a power supply, an HDMI cable, a SATA cable, and a user manual.
Such a low-cost AMD mini PC is clearly not a gaming machine, but compared to a similar priced Intel Gemini Lake (J4125) system with Intel UHD 600 graphics, the gaming performance will be much better, with the frame rate above twice as fast in many games. The overall performance should be similar, albeit slightly slower, than the DFI’s Ryzen Embedded R1606G SBC I tested with Windows 10 and Ubuntu 20.04.
MTN-FP50 would be great as a barebone machine so that people can configure it as they please, but Maxtang does not offer it without memory, storage, nor wireless module on Aliexpress, so the only option is to buy it preconfigured with 4 or 8GB RAM, and a 128 or 256GB SSD.