If you’d like a relatively low cost (~$200) mini PC featuring a recent processor with a TDP less than 10W your only options up to this point were models with Intel Cherry Trail, Apollo Lake or Gemini Lake processors.
AMD launched some 12W-25W processors with Ryzen Embedded V1000 series and Ryzen Embedded R1000 series for embedded systems over the course of the last two years. But the company is now providing lower cost and lower power versions of their Embedded R1000 family with Ryzen Embedded R1102G and Ryzen Embedded R1305G processors with a TDP of respectively 6W and 10W.
The new processors have many the same features as the previous R1505G & R1606G models but at a lower TDP and performance (frequencies):
- Ryzen Embedded R1102G – 2-core/2-thread @ 1.2 GHz / 2.6 GHz (Turbo); 3x CU Radeon Vega 3 graphics cores @ 1.0 GHz; 6W TDP
- Ryzen Embedded R1305G – 2-core/4-thread @ 1.5 GHz / 2.8 GHz; 3x CU Radeon Vega 3 graphics cores @ 1.0 GHz; 8-10W TDP
- Ryzen Embedded R1505G – 2-core/4-thread @ 2.4 GHz / 3.3 GHz; 3x CU Radeon Vega 3 graphics cores @ 1.0 GHz; 12-25W TDP
- Ryzen Embedded R1606G – 2-core/4-thread @ 2.6 GHz / 3.5 GHz max; 3x CU Radeon Vega 3 graphics cores @ 1.2 GHz; 12-25W TDP
R1102G supports up to two 4K displays, and single-channel DDR4 memory, while other parts can drive up to three displays and feature a dual-channel DDR4 memory interface.
All parts come with dual 10GbE, 2x USB 2.0, 4x USB 3.1 Gen2 and 2x
SATA interfaces. You can find details on AMD website.
Sapphire NP-FP5 key features and specifications:
- SoC – AMD Ryzen Embedded R1505G (12W-25W) or R1305G Processor (8W-10W)
- System Memory – 2x DDR4 SO-DIMM up to 2400 GHz, Max. 32GB
- Storage – mSATA see below
- Video Output – 2 x mini-DP
- Audio – Combo Mic In/Audio out Jack
- Connectivity – Gigabit Ethernet
- USB – 2x USB3.1 + 2x USB2.0, 1x internal USB header
- Expansion Slots
- 1x M.2 (Key M, 2242/2280) with PCIe x4 and SATA for SSD
- 1x M.2 (Key E, 2230) with PCIe x1 and USB2.0 for Wireless
- Misc – Front panel header
- Power Supply – 12 ~ 19V DC power jack
- Form Factor – 4″x4″ (10.16 x 10.16 cm)
The board is designed to be actively cooled, but I suppose there may be ways to go fanless with the 8W-10W processor.
SimplyNUC Red Oak is expected in Q2 2020. Price has not been disclosed, but it should be higher than a typical Intel Apollo Lake/Gemini Lake mini PC because those are designed for business applications such as digital signage, industrial automation, or “edge data analytics”.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.