Qualcomm has introduced the third generation of the Snapdragon 8cx and 7c compute platforms with the high-end 5nm Snapdragon 8cx Gen 3 processor offers up to 85% faster CPU and 60% faster GPU performance compared to Snapdragon 8cx Gen 2, while the Snapdragon 7c+ Gen 3, designed for entry-level and mid-range laptops and Chromebooks, is said to gain up to 60% CPU performance and achieve up to 70% faster GPU performance uplift compared to the Snapdragon 7c Gen 2.
Qualcomm Snapdragon 8cx specifications:
- CPU – Qualcomm Kryo 64-bit CPU. Details based on Anandtech live blog from the Snapdragon Tech Summit:
- 4x 3.0 GHz Prime cores
- 4x 2.4 GHz Efficiency Cores
- 14MB Total Cache (8MB L3+6MB System cache)
- Performance: +40% for single-thread, +85% for multi-thread
- GPU – Unnamed Adreno GPU with DirectX 12 (DX12) API support
- DSP – Qualcomm Hexagon Processor, Qualcomm Sensing Hub
- AI – Qualcomm Neural Processing Engine SDK support for AI (up to 29+ TOPS)
- Memory I/F – 8x 16-channel LPDDR4x-4266
- Storage – UFS 3.1, NVMe over PCIe
- On-Device Display – Up to 4K Ultra HD
- External Display – Up to 2x 4K Displays over DP-MST
- Video Playback – H.265, H.264, VP9 codecs up 4K HDR @ 120fps
- Qualcomm TrueWireless Technology, Qualcomm Broadcast Audio technology, Qualcomm Aqstic audio technology,
- Qualcomm aptX audio playback (aptX and aptX HD)
- Qualcomm Spectra ISP
- Single camera up to 24 MP, with support for up to 4 concurrent cameras.
- 4K HDR video capture, 4K Ultra HD video capture up to 30 fps
- Slow motion: 720p @ 480 fps
- Cellular (choice of different modems)
- Wi-Fi Standards – 802.11ax (Wi-Fi 6/6E), 802.11ad, 802.11ac Wave 2, 802.11a/b/g, 802.11n
- Bluetooth 5.1
- GNSS – Beidou, Galileo, GLONASS, GPS, QZSS, SBAS
- Manufacturing – 5nm process technology (5LPE)
Windows 11 always-on always-connected devices from Microsoft, Lenovo, and Motorola are expected to come to market in H1 2022. More details may be found on the product page.
- CPU – Qualcomm Kryo octa-core CPU (no other details at this time)
- GPU – Unnamed Qualcomm Adreno GPU
- DSP – Not listed
- AI – 6.5 AI performance
- Memory I/F – 2-channel LPDDR4x-4266, LPDDR5-6400
- Storage – UFS 2.1, PCIe NVMe/SSD, eMMC 5.1, SD 3.0
- Max On-Device Display: FHD+
- Qualcomm Spectra ISP
- Triple Camera: Up to 22 MP
- Dual Camera: Up to 36+22 MP
- Single Camera: Up to 64 MP
- Up to 4K HDR video capture
- Audio – Qualcomm Aqstic audio codec, Qualcomm Aqstic smart speaker amplifier, Qualcomm Aqstic audio technology
- Cellular – Snapdragon X53 5G Modem-RF System up to 3.7 Gbps
- Qualcomm FastConnect 6700 System
- WiFi Standards: Wi-Fi 6E, Wi-Fi 6, Wi-Fi 5, 802.11a/b/g/n up to 2.9 Gpbs
- Bluetooth 5.2
- USB – USB 3.1 Type-C
- Process – 6nm
Since the Snapdragon 7c+ Gen 3 is not only designed for Windows 11 laptops but also Chromebooks according to the press release, it could be easier to port Linux to it. Devices based on the processor are also expected in H1 2022. Additional information may be found on the product page.
As a side note, Qualcomm also launched the Snapdragon G3x for gaming, notably portable gaming consoles, and unveiled the “Handheld Gaming Developer Kit” designed in collaboration with Razer.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.