Linaro 12.08 Release with Kernel 3.6 and Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean
Linaro release 12.08 includes Linux Kernel 3.6-rc2 and is the very first release with Android Jelly Bean (4.1.1-R4).
The Android platform team has managed to port Android Jelly Bean to all their main development platforms: Versatile Express, Versatile Express RTSM, Samsung Origen, TI PandaBoard, ST Ericsson Snowball, as well as Samsung Galaxy Nexus smartphone. They’ve also added TINY_ANDROID, a minimal Android build that can be used for kernel development, toolchain work and other development where users only need a console. It’s possible to get the source code, build it and access the shell within 10 minutes. U-boot-Linaro has been updated and is now based on the latest upstream release v2012.07.
Next month, we might be able to see a preliminary port of Android on 64-bit platform (ARMv8).
Here are the highlights of the release:
- Automated Methanol (http://gitorious.org/methanol) browser benchmarking in Linaro Android.
- Automated over 100 Jelly Bean AOSP tests.
- Integrated the Ethernet Connection Manager into Linaro Jelly Bean builds.
- Running Linaro Jelly Bean on Versatile Express, Versatile Express RTSM, Samsung Origen, TI PandaBoard, ST Ericsson Snowball and Galaxy Nexus.
- Released the Linaro Toolchain for Android, based on Linaro GCC 4.7-2012.08.
- Updated Linaro Android to R4.1.1-R4.
- Lowered native benchmark variance to 2% and JAVA benchmark variance to 5% for AndeBench, Antutu, CaffeineMark, Geekbench2, GLBenchmark, Linpack, Nbench, Quadrant and Vellamo.
- Created a TINY_ANDROID baseline.
- Developer Platform
- Linux Linaro is now tested and validated with CI, for all the supported flavours from the Landing Teams.
- USB Host enablement testing is now available at LAVA, to help on USB support validation.
- All packaged linux linaro kernels are cross compile tested and boot tested via LAVA before uploading them to Launchpad.
- U-boot-Linaro is now based on the latest upstream release v2012.07.
- Filesystem images are provided for Android builds to facilitate testing and streamlined deployment.
- Graphics and Multimedia
- GLMark2: display benchmark results log in the Android GUI.
- GLMark2: users can save and load benchmark lists from the Android GUI.
- Power Management
- Add the concept of max_power and current_power to the scheduler to tie in DVFS.
- Fix partial-partial PRE since EEMBC bitmnp01 regressed significantly at -O3. Patch upstreamed and backported to Linaro GCC 4.7-2012.08
- Ubuntu FastModel’s now executing big.LITTLE test suite in the lab.
- OpenEmbedded images are bootable in LAVA.
- WiFi antennas were added to the Snowball boards in the Validation lab to enable WiFi testing.
Visit https://wiki.linaro.org/Cycles/1208/Release for a list of known issues and further release details about the LEB, Android, Kernel, Graphics, Landing Team, Platform, Power management and Toolchain (GCC / Qemu) components.