Android 4.2 Laptop Boasts 13.3″ Display, Dual Core WM8880 SoC
Charbax has just found a 13.3″ laptop powered by WonderMedia WM8880 dual core Cortex A9 processor running Android 4.2 manufactured by Shenzhen Honlin, and selling for about $108 in China (retail or factory price?). That’s the first time I see a Chinese ARM based laptop with a somewhat decent screen, so I went to Aliexpress to find the device or a similar one, and after going through all the 13.3″ Android tablets, I found a no brand laptop, model GA1331F, sold by Shenzhen GA Technology Development with apparently the same specs for about $170 including shipping via EMS.
- SoC – WonderMedia WM8880 Dual-Core ARM Cortex A9 @ 1.5GHz with Mali-400 MP2 GPU
- System Memory – 1GB DDR3 RAM @ 1033MHz, with an option to get 2GB
- Storage – 8GB or 16GB MLC NAND flash, SD card slot (Up to 32GB)
- Display – 13.3″ LCD screen (1280 x 800)
- Connectivity – 10/100M Ethernet, 802.11 b/g/n Wi-Fi, Bluetooth v3.0. 3G via external USB dongle.
- Camera – 0.3MP front facing camera
- USB – 2x USB 2.0
- Video Output – HDMI
- Audio – Mic and headphone jacks, and built-in stereo speakers
- Keyboard – Standard English 78 keys with build-in touch pad
- Battery type – 3000mAH, 3.7V Li-on, good for 6 hours (typical use).
- Dimensions – 32.8x23x2.8cm
- Weight – 1.1 kg
This laptop runs Android 4.2, but if we are to believe the description on Aliexpress it can also dual boot to Windows CE 6.0. It comes with a power adapter, a manual, a warranty card, and CD with drivers…
Wondermedia WM8880 is one of the cheapest dual core processor available on the market today, and can be found in tablets for about $40 in China, and around $60 in the rest of the world. That’s the retail price. The 13.3″ display, casing, and all the extra ports add quite a lot to the cost, and at $170, it’s just about $30 less than the cheapest 13.3″ Intel laptop I could find, for much lower performance, albeit most probably, a better battery life.
You can watch Charbax video about the 13.3″ Android laptop.