Advantech announced the PCM-C3500 Series single board computers (SBC) powered by TI OMAP3503 or OMAP3530 processors with 128 to 256 MB SDRAM and 1 to 2 GB Flash (optional) . These heatsink-free boards are targeted for various low-power applications in industrial control, HMI/kiosk, medical, and portable applications.The boards will run Windows CE 6.0 (default), Embedded Linux 2.6 and Android 2.2.
Here are the specifications for PCM-C3500 SBC:
- CPU – PCM-C3530: TI OMAP3530 @ 600 MHz / PCM-C3503: TI OMAP3503 @ 600 MHz
- DSP – Built-in 430-MHz TMS320C64x+™ DSP Core (PCM-C3530 only)
- 2D/3D Accelerators – OpenGLES 1.1 and 2.0, OpenVG1.0 (PCM-C3530 only)
- OS – WinCE6.0 English professional version as default, and Linux
- DRAM – PCM-C3530: 256 MB, PCM-C3503: 128 MB (Optional: 256 MB)
- Onboard Flash – PCM-C3530: Default 2 GB, (Optional: 0 GB, 1 GB) /PCM-C3503: Default 0 GB, (Optional: 1 GB, 2 GB)
- Power Management – Standard, idle and suspend modes
- COM Ports – PCM-C3530: 5 (1x TTL, 3x RS232 and 1xRS485) / PCM-C3503: 3 (1x TTL and 2x RS232)
- USB Ports – 4 x USB 2.0 host
- USB OTG – 1 x USB 2.0 OTG
- LAN – 1 x 10/100 BASE-T (RJ-45)
- SD/MMC – 2 x SDIO/MMC interface (SD slot x 1+ pin header x 1)
- GPIO – 20 x pins 3.3 V TTL level DIO
- Hotkey/matrix key pad – Support 6 x 6 matrix keypad
- 2x I2C, 1x SPI
- Buzzer control
- Graphic Chip – CPU internal 24-bits LCD controller
- LCD Resolution – Default: 800 x 480 7” WVGA / Optional: 320 x 240 ~ 1280 x 800
- Brightness and Backlight Control
- T/S – 4-wire resistive type interface
- Video Interface – 1x LVDS
- Audio – Audio Codec for Line-in, Line-out, Speak-Out & Mic-in
You can see the ports connections for both PCM-C3503 and PCM-C3530 in the block diagram below.
The board measures 90 mm x 120 mm x 17 mm ( PCB thickness 1.6 mm) and weights 92 g. It can operate between 0 and 60° C (32 and 140° F) or even between -20 and 70° C or -40 and 85° C by changing some components, according to Advantech.
They board can support Mpeg 1/2/4 andH.264 video decode/encode at D1 resolution directly and up to 720p using a 3rd party codec.
Advantech also provides evaluation kits that come with:
- PCM-C3530 or PCM-C3503 SBC
- LCD-LED Backlight 7″ LVDS RGB 97G070V1N0F-2
- Touch Cable
- LVDS Cable
- LCD Backlight Cable
- ADAPTER 100-240V 90W 19V 4.74A W/PFC 9NA0900508
- Wide-Temp RS-232 to RS-422/485 Converter
- PLUG-IN BLOCK DIP 2P (F) MC421-38102 DECA
- A Cable D-SUB 9P(M)/2*5P-2.0 15cm *2
- M Cable D-SUB 9P(F)/D-SUB 9P(F) 100CM
- Terminal connector 9P Female
- CD-ROM for PCM-C3530 evaluation kit V1.0 USB Type-A Cable
- Mini USB Client Cable and Mini USB Host Cable
- SQFlash SD Card SLC 2G, 2CH(-40~85° C)
- 3 pin Power Cord following USA, Europe or UK standard (option)
As the boards come loaded with Wince 6.0, all instructions are based on this operating system. The boards also support Linux, but I could not find any information to download and install a Linux distribution on this board. Having said that, the PCM-C3530 is using the same processor as the Beagleboard (OMAP3530) so I suppose we could see a Linaro port for this device.
PCM-C3530 SBC can be purchased online for 285 USD, however PCM-C3503 (P/N: PCM-C3503-650B0E) does not appear to be listed on advantech online shop.
Further information is available on Advantech PCM-C3503 and PCM-C3530 pages. You can also download PCM-C3500 Series Evaluation Kit User Manual and the PCM-C3500 Sales Kit, a PowerPoint presentation that will show you which applications and features can be implemented with those boards.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.