Digi International announced the “ConnectPort X2e for Smart Energy”, a Linux-based Home Energy Gateway with Zigbee connectivity based on Freescale Home Energy Gateway Reference Platform powered by Freescale i.MX28 processor.
The “ConnectPort X2e for Smart Energy” is upgradable to comply with the new Smart Energy 2.0 Profile (SEP 2.0) and enables ZigBee devices on a Home Area Network (HAN) to communicate with an energy service provider.
The new gateway is a low-cost, enhanced version (hence the “e” in X2e) of Digi’s ZigBee Smart Energy Gateways. The device connects ZigBee Smart Energy devices from a Home Area Network (HAN) to an energy service provider via broadband. It supports over-the-air updates of connected Smart Energy devices, making it easier for utilities and application partners to establish and maintain large Smart Energy device deployments.
The company offers two models namely:
- ConnectPort X2e, ZigBee SE Coordinator for stand-alone Smart Energy networks that do not have smart meters.
- ConnectPort X2e, ZigBee SE Router to connect and read the smart metering system which has been installed at the site.
End-users can use Digi’s Smartlee application for iPhone and Android and/or utility-hosted websites to monitor and even control their electricity consumption in real-time.
The ConnectPort X2e uses the iDigi Device Cloud service to manage connectivity, configuration and software upgrades as well as application integration enabling the Home Area Network (HAN) and Smart Energy devices, such as Programmable Communicating Thermostat (PCT) and In-Home Display products from other manufacturers.
Here are Digi “ConnectPort X2e for Smart Energy” specifications.
- Management – Secure enterprise management via iDigi Device Cloud
- Protocols – UDP/TCP, DHCP
- LEDs – Power, Network (LAN/WAN), ZigBee (HAN/PAN)
- Security – SSL tunnels
- ZigBee – XBee® ZB SMT transmit power 6.3 mW (+8 dBm); Receiver sensitivity (1% PER) -102 dBm
- Ethernet – 10/100MBit – RJ-45 Port
- Dimensions – (L x W x H) 7.62 cm x 7.62 cm x 2.54 cm
- Weight – 70 grams
- ZigBee – Public Application Profile Smart Energy 1.1 (Backwards compatible to 1.0)
- Python – Version 2.7.1
- Memory – 64 MB Ram, 128 MB Flash
- Power Requirements
- Power – Input 5 VDC
- Power Consumption – (Typical): 1.2 W, Max: 2.5 W
- Operating Temperature – 0° C to 40° CF)
- Relative Humidity – 5% to 95% (non-condensing)
- Ethernet Isolation – 500 VAC min per IEEE802.3/ANSI X3.263
- Regulatory Approvals
- Safety – EN60950
- Emissions/Immunity – CE, FCC Part 15 (Class B), IC, ETSI
As you can see Python is used for application development on the platform. Resources for development with Python on Digi International devices are available at http://www.digi.com/technology/drop-in-networking/pdr.
The ConnectPort X2e for Smart Energy is available now for 105 USD for both the coordinator and router version. A Wi-Fi version will be released in Q2 2012.
Further information is available on ConnectPort X2e for Smart Energy page. For technical details, you can read my previous post entitled Freescale Home Energy Gateway Reference Platform.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.