Archos has just announced the Archos TV connect compromised of a touch remote and an Android 4.1 Jelly Bean set-top box and that be placed on to top of your TV. The Android 4.1 media player is powered by a multi-core 1.5GHz processor with 1 GB RAM and 8GB flash. The touch remote allows you to control your TV just like a tablet with tap, swipe, zoom in, zoom out, select or type.
- SoC – 1.5 GHz Smart MultiCore processor (Arctablet reports it’s powered by TI OMAP 4470)
- System Memory – 1 GB RAM
- Storage – 8 GB Flash memory + micro SDHC Slot up to 32 GB
- USB – Micro USB port + USB host port
- Video Output – mini HDMI
- Camera – HD front camera
- Misc – LED notification (for incoming calls), Microphone.
- Dimensions – 235 x 105 x 34 mm
The package comes with ARCHOS TV connect, the TV Touch remote, a power supply, an HDMI cable and a user guide.
The functionality is very similar to what you would get with an Android mini PC and a Fly Mouse, but Archos TV connect adds an Ethernet port (a must for high bitrate videos), an HD camera (useful for Skype / Google Talk video calls) and it has been designed to neatly fit on top of your TV. The device comes with ARCHOS Media Center applications which should made it pretty good to manage and play your video files.
The TV Touch remote features:
- Pointer – Allows you to control your TV just like you would your tablet with a tapping and/or swiping motion.
- Full multi-touch gesture support – Control your apps easily with zoom In, zoom out and rotate.
- Full keyboard with Android shortcuts – The TV touch remote includes a full keyboard and Android shortcut keys including a key for voice controls and voice typing
It’s also compatible with Archos Gaming Mapping Tool used with the Gamepad that allows you to define the buttons used for a particular game.
The device should be available in February 2013 for $129 / 129 Euros / 99 GBP. You can get further information on Archos TV Connect page.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.
|Support CNX Software - Donate via PayPal or cryptocurrencies, become a Patron on Patreon, or buy review samples|