Yesterday, Technici left a comment about a Rockchip RK3066 set-top box sold on a Polish website. The device is called “SMART MEDIA BOX TVi7” is the brochure in Polish, so I went on a search and found in DealExtreme for $86.50. Since I previously reported about the Wise TV Box also based on RK3066 but selling for $59.99, so I was about to pass on this one, until I found out Wise TV Box now costs $97, which makes this new device potentially interesting.
- SoC – Rockchip RK3066 @ 252MHz~1608MHz + Mali 400 MP4 GPU
- System Memory – 1GB DDR3
- Storage – 8GB NAND Flash + micro SD slot (up to 32 GB)
- Wi-Fi – 802.11 b/g/n
- Ethernet – 10/100 Mbps (RJ45)
- 3G – Via external USB Dongle
- Video Output – HDMI 1.4 (1080p)
- Video Codecs – H.264, VP8, RV, WMV, AVS, H.263, MPEG4
- Audio Formats – MP3, WMA, APE, FLAC, AAC, WAV, OGG
- USB – 1 x Mini USB (OTG) + 2 x USB 2.0
- Camera – Built-in 2.0MP camera
- Dimensions – 12.0 cm x 10.0 cm x 2.4 cm
- Weight – 165g
The package also includes an HDMI cable, a power adapter, an external Wi-Fi antenna, a remote control, a mount bracket and a an English / Chinese user manual. It looks like it might be possible to fit the mount bracket on top of the TV to make use of the camera. On the downside, the box is only running Android 4.0.4, and I’m not sure there will be an updated firmware. I also pretty much hate using an IR remote control for most tasks done on an Android STB, but you should be able to use you own RF + Gyro remote or Android device as a controller.
The device is also available on Aliexpress from various stores either called TVi7 or just i7. Most sellers appear to be more expensive than DX.com, except one shop with “below average” seller ratings.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.