This morning I received an email from DealExtreme with a link to a teaser video about an upcoming Android device to be available on June 10, that comes with a game controller (PS3 type) to play games. After some research, I finally found this “Android-on-TV” device which is based on Rockchip RK3066 with 1GB RAM, 8GB Flash, lots of ports (USB, HDMI, Ethernet), a webcam, and more. Beside the game controller, it also comes with a remote control, so the device can be used for a whole lot of applications including gaming, video chat, media player, web browsing, and more. It’s something you can already do with existing devices, but it may require some efforts, and this one seems to come all included.
Here are the specs of the “beast”:
- SoC – Rockchip RK3066 dual-core processor @ 1.6GHz + MALI 400 MP4 GPU
- System Memory – 1GB DDR3
- Storage – 8G NAND Flash + SD card slot (up to 32GB)
- WIFI 802.11b/g/n
- 10/100M Ethernet
- Bluetooth 2.0
- Camera – 2.0 MP camera
- TV – Apps for Macau and Hong Kong on-demand videos and live TV, and optional DVB receiver (no details provided, but I guess it must be through a USB dongle)
- Input Devices – 6-axis (PS3) game controller and “air flying squirrel” mouse (I guess that’s means an RF remote with gyro)
- USB – 1x USB OTG (full size), 3x USB 2.0 host.
- Video Output – HDMI (720p to 1080p)
- Audio ports – Buil-in microphone (3 m range) + 3.5mm headphone jack
- Buttons – Power and recovery buttons
- Power Supply – 12V/2A
This Android 4.1.1 “Android-on-TV” box comes with a remote and an optional Bluetooth game controller, a stand to position it on top of your TV, an HDMI cable, a mini USB to USB cable to charge the game controller, and a 12V/2A power adapter. It’s also said to support DLNA and Airplay, and a applications to control the box with your Android smartphone is provided. This device looks like the ultimate Android STB that allows you to do virtually anything you may want to do on your TV. This looks promising, but we’ll have to see how the software implementation, and hopefully this won’t be a “Jack of all trades, master of none” type of products.
If even though it’s not available on dx.com right now, I could find it on Aliexpress for $145 including shipping. Considering the features and accessories included, the price seems about right, but better wait until it’s on more websites. 7po.com also has a forum thread about the device with more pictures and details in Chinese. The company behind the product appears to be “L.C. Smart Co. Ltd” based in Shenzhen, but I can’t find any details about it, except their username in Sina Weibo (Chinese twitter) is @LCTVBOX101.
[Update: the device is already available from DX.com for $123.90 including shipping]
|Support CNX Software - Donate via PayPal or become a Patron on Patreon|