If you’re following the Chinese low cost smartphone space, you may only think about phones based on Mediatek or possibly Spreadtrum SoCs, but Qualcomm is now entering the arena with its dual core Cortex A5 MSM8225 SoC, and Android smartphones based on the platform such as NEO NS Goddess are available for less than $100, and in this case just $87.
NEO NS Goddess specifications:
- SoC – Qualcomm Dual Core MSM8225 @ 1GHz with Andreno 203 GPU
- System Memory – 512MB RAM
- Storage – 512MB ROM + micro SD card slot (TBC)
- Display – 4.0″ 5-point capacitive touchscreen (800×480)
- Camera – 0.3MP front camera, 5.0MP back camera
- Connectivity – Wifi 802.11b/g/n, Bluetooth, GPS
- Network – 2G GSM 900/1800, 3G WCDMA 2100MHz (Dual SIM card)
- USB – 1x micro USB
- Audio – 1x earphone jack
- Sensor – G-sensor Support
- Battery – 1500mAh rechargeable Li-ion battery (up to 3 days)
- Dimensions – 124x64x11.6 mm
- Weight – 145g
This Android 4.0 (ICS) phone comes with the battery, a charger, a user’s manual, and a micro USB cable. The specifications are very similar to Cubot GT72 based on Mediatek MT6572 (dual core Cortex A7), but at least the “goddess” comes with 512MB RAM which should make it more usable. Screenshots seem to prove it supports Google Play, but unfortunately the 512MB flash will be very limiting. A micro SD card slot is not listed in the specs, but pictures seem to show an emplacement for micro SD cards, so it may help with storage.
If you’re interested in GPL source code for the processor, it does not seem available right now, and I’m not quite sure about Qualcomm’s GPL compliance history.
NEO NS Goddess is available for $86.99 on Lightake, or for about the same price or more from a few sellers on Aliexpress. If 512MB flash is too tight, there are also models with 4GB NAND Flash for about $100.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.
|Support CNX Software - Donate via PayPal or become a Patron on Patreon|