The Wearable Technologies Innovation World Cup is a yearly competition open worldwide, with prizes worth a total of $200,000, “designed to inspire and stimulate excellent next generation solutions with the potential to become real marketable products for Wearable Technologies on the subjects Sports & Fitness, Healthcare & Wellness, Security & Prevention, Gaming & Lifestyle”.
This year, the contest is open between June 1, 2013 and November 30, 2013, and the good news is that even if you don’t win a cash prize, you can still purchase relevant devkit at a discount, or even get them for free.
There are 3 companies involved who participate in the program from which you can get development kits:
- ST Microelectronics:
- STEVAL-IDB001V1(100% discount for the first 100 registrants) – STEVAL-IDB001V1 is a demonstration board based on STBLC01 low power Bluetooth low energy (BLE) controller and powered by STM32L MCU. Regular price: $159.
- STEVAL-MKI119V1 (No discount) – This demonstration board is based on LSM303DLHC 6-axis digital ecompass (3-axis accelerometer, plus 3-axis magnetometer) and L3GD20 3-axis digital gyroscope. The board includes an STM32F103 32bit microcontroller interfacing the 9-axis sensor to the UNICO GUI. Price: $100.
- STEVAL-MKI132V1 + STEVAL-MKI108V2 (No discount) – This battery operated demonstration kit is based on LSM303DLHC 6-axis digital e-compass (3-axis accelerometer, plus 3-axis magnetometer) and L3GD20 3-axis digital gyroscope. The board interfaces the 9-axis sensor to the UNICO GUI through BT link. Price: $57 + $25 = $82
- 32L152CDISCOVERY (50% discount for the first 50 registrants) – The STM32L-DISCOVERY and 32L152CDISCOVERY kits help you to discover the STM32L ultra low power features and to develop and share your applications.They are based on an STM32L152RBT6 and an STM32L152RCT6, respectively; and include an ST-Link/V2 embedded debugging tool interface, an LCD (24 segments, 4 commons), LEDs, pushbuttons, a linear touch sensor or touchkeys. Regular price: $12.4
- Texas Instruments
- CC2541DK-SensorTag (100% discount for the first 100 registrations) – CC2541 SensorTag is a first Bluetooth Smart development kit focused on wireless sensor applications. For details see SensorTag post. I’ve just received it today, and I paid the regular price ($25.00)
- CC2541DK-MINI (50% discount for the first 200 registrants) – The CC2541DK-MINI development kit provides a working reference design for software development of single-mode Bluetooth low energy (BLE) applications based on the Texas Instruments CC2541. Regular price: $99.
- CC1120DK(50% discount for the first 200 registrants) – The CC1120 development kit provides a complete hardware performance testing and software development platform for TI’s Sub-1 GHz Performance Line devices. This kit supports 868MHz and 915MHz. Regular price: $299.
- 430BOOST-CC110L(50% discount for the first 200 registrants) – The CC110L RF BoosterPack is a low-power wireless transceiver extension kit for use with the Texas Instruments MSP-EXP430G2 LaunchPad development kit. The on-board Anaren Integrated Radio (AIR) A110LR09A radio module operates in the European 868-870MHz and US 902-928MHz ISM bands. Regular price: $19.
- C.Schneider – New Solutions:
blukii Development Kit (50% discount for 99,50€ plus shipping) – blukii is an open hardware platform for the development of new App 2.0 solutions composed of:
- Technology modules for Bluetooth smart and NFC technology
- Carrier products for wearing the technology modules.
- Spare parts for modules and products
- Battery changer for changing the blukii battery
- Development software for creating new App 2.0 solutions
Once you’ve build your project based on those free or discounted hardware devices, you can submit your proposal. If you’re interested in seeing what winner have done in previous years, you can visit Innovation World Cup’s Hall of Fame page. In the first few years, individuals did win, but in recent years, the winners and finalists are all small companies.
|Support CNX Software - Donate via PayPal or become a Patron on Patreon|