WeWi Telecommunications has designed a solaptop (Solar-powered laptop) with 4 foldable solar panels in order to recharge the battery. WeWi SOL is powered by Intel Atom D2500, with 4GB RAM, features a 13.3″ display, and runs Ubuntu. It will be sold for only $300 to $400.
WeWi SOL specifications:
- CPU – Intel Atom D2500 @ 1.86 GHz Dual Core, Intel 945GSE + ICH7M
- GPU – Built-In Intel GMA3600 Graphics, 1080p HD Video
- System Memory – 2 to 4GB DDRIII SDRAM (Kingston)
- Storage – 2.5” SATA HDD 320GB (Seagate) + Card reader (SD/MS/MMC)
- Display – 13.3″ LCD, WXGA, 1366 x 768
- Video Output – HDMI
- Audio – Realtek ALC661 HD Audio, built-in stereo speakers, internal mic + 3.5mm headphone jack
- 10/100M Ethernet
- 3G/4G World/multimode LTE Modem
- GPS (gpsOne Gen8A)
- WiFi – MIMO 802.11b/gn (2.4/5GHz)
- Bluetooth – Integrated Digital Core BT4.0
- USB – 3x USB 2.0
- Camera – 3MP
- Battery Operating Time – 8 to 10 hours
- Weight – Not quite sure…
The solar panel are foldable (as shown below), but the laptop can run directly off solar energy when the solar panels are unfolded, or charge the built-in battery in under 2 hours.
OMG Ubuntu reports that SOL is expected to launch first in Ghana, Africa, for about $300. The price for the US market should be around $350, and a submersible version (SOL Marine) will be sold for $400. Availability dates have not been provided.
Further information is available on SOL Laptop website.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.
|Support CNX Software - Donate via PayPal, become a Patron on Patreon, or buy review samples|