Next Unit of Computing (NUC) is a small form factor PC designed by Intel featuring “low power” Intel CPUs. It has gone through different iteration starting with Sandy Bridge Celeron CPU, then Ivy Bridge Core i3 and Core i5 processors in the second generation, with the third generation using the Haswell architecture. Intel latest model called Intel DN2820FYK NUC is based on “Bay Trail” Celeron N2820 dual-core processor @ 2.4 GHz with 7.5W TDP, and is now available for $140 on Amazon
Intel DN2820FYK NUC specifications:
- Processor – Intel Celeron N2820 dual core processor @ up to 2.4GHz dual-core with 1MB cache, 7.5W TDP
- Memory – 1x DDR3L SODIMM 1.35V, 1333/1600 MHz (down clocked to 1066 MHz), 8GB maximum
- Storage – Internal support for 2.5¨ HDD or SSD
- Graphics – Intel HD Graphics @ up to 756MHz
- Video Output – 1x HDMI 1.4a
- Audio I/O – Up to 7.1 surround audio via HDMI interface, back panel headphone/microphone jack
- Connectivity – 10/100/1000Mbps Ethernet port, Intel Wireless-N 7260BN pre-installed, including wireless antennas (IEEE 802.11bgn, Bluetooth 4.0, Intel Wireless Display built-in)
- USB – 1 x USB 3.0 port on the front panel, 2 x USB 2.0 ports on the back panel
- Expansions – Half-length PCIe mini-card slot (used by pre-installed wireless card)
- Misc – Front panel consumer IR sensor, Kensington lock support,
- Enclosure – Silver aluminum ring with diamond cut around black top
- Dimensions – 116.6mm x 112mm x 51.5mm
- Power adapter – 12V, 36W wall-mount AC adapter with multi-country plugs (IEC types A/C/G/I)
Intel new mini PC comes with VESA mount bracket (75x75mm and 100x100mm compatible), with screws, a 12V, 36W wall-mount AC adapter with multi-country AC plugs (IEC types A/C/G/I), an Intel Celeron brand sticker, and an integration guide. The full kit is named DN2820FYK as mentioned above, but the motherboard itself is DN2820FYB. The computer will run Windows 7/8 or Linux distributions. Despite the low power consumption of the processor, this is not a fanless system as Intel mentions it is “low-acoustics active cooling design”, but FanlessTech reports a fanless SKU might be in the work. There’s a 3-year warranty with the system which is nice.
The kit sold on Amazon does not come with RAM nor storage, but Liliputing found out that thebookpc.com sells the new Intel NUC with different options for RAM, hard drives or SSDs, and more, and full working system with 2GB RAM, and a 256GB hard drive will cost $239.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.