Allwinner has formally announced AllWinner UltraOcta A80 SoC at Mobile World Congress 2014. The SoC featurs four Cortex A15 and four Cortex A7 cores in big.LITTLE configuration as well as Imagination Technologies PowerVR G6230 GPU, and a VPU with H.265
and VP9 support. The processor will be used in tablets, OTT media players, notebook PCs, all-in-ones, and smart TVs.
- Ultra low power, high performance 28nm UltraOcta SoC with heterogeneous eight-core CPU computing
- Ultra performance graphics – PowerVR G6230 GPU with two shader clusters and 64 FP32 ALU cores
- CoolFlex power management system – optimized big.LITTLE technology to dynamically activate energy-efficient or high performance processor cores based on computing workload
- Next generation video engine – 4K encode/decode, H.265
- Triple-screen display support
Imagination PowerVR G6230 Rogue GPU is said to embed power saving technologies such as PVRTC and PVRTC2 texture compression formats, PVRIC (lossless image compression) and PVRGC (lossless geometry compression). It supports OpenGL ES Next/3.0/2.0, OpenGL 3.x, DirectX 9_3/10, OpenCL and Renderscript APIs.
The press release appears to have been puit out mainly to describe features of PowerVR 6230 GPU, and details about peripherals are still missing, although we can see AllWinner A80 features MIPI, USB host, HDMI and an audio subsystems.
Beside AllWinner PR, you can also read more about the GPU in AllWinner A80 on Imagination Tech blog.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.
|Support CNX Software - Donate via PayPal or become a Patron on Patreon|