A few years ago, smartphone with a 5″ display were also laughed at, before phablet basically became the norm. Now most smartwatches feature a screen between 1.5″ to 1.8″, but Rufus Cuff goes big with a 3″ screen, that you can strap to your wrist and be used a as watch, a web browser, music player, as well as send SMS and make calls via your smartphone, or if you don’t have one via VoIP thanks to the Wi-Fi connection.
Here are the technical specifications:
- Processor – Texas Instruments Cortex A8 Processor (OMAP3 or Sitara)
- System Memory – N/A
- Storage – 16GB Storage
- Display – 3.0″ TFT Capacitive Touchscreen, 400 x 240 QVGA Resolution
- Connectivity – Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n, Bluetooth 4.0 LE, GPS
- Camera – Front-facing Video Camera
- Audio – Speaker, and microphone
- Sensors – Accelerometer, 6-Axis Gyroscope.
- Misc – Vibration Alert, Alerts & Flashlight LEDs
- Battery – ~1000 mAh Rechargeable Battery
- Spill & Splash Resistant (IPX7 certification to be done)
- Dimensions – 79×54 mm
Rufus Cuff will run Android 4.4 Kit Kat, and come with the Google Play Store, so you can run pretty much any apps you run on your actual phone.
The Rufus Cuff will slide in a wristband, with both being available in black, white, green, yellow, red, or blue, and you can wear it on the left or right arm.
The company plans to raise $250,000 through Indiegogo (fixed campaign). If you are among the first 250 persons, an early bird of $229 will get you a Rufus Cuff, after which you’ll have to pledge $279. Shipping is free to the US, and will be charged at costs to other locations. Production is scheduled to start in August, and shipment to backers in September 2014.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.
|Support CNX Software - Donate via PayPal or become a Patron on Patreon|