After a teaser tweet in July 2012, Jolla officially announced Sailfish OS in November 2012, and today, they’ll announce the first Jolla Smartphone, which is available for pre-order.
Key features of the Jolla smartphone:
- SoC – Dual core processor
- Storage – 16GB Flash + microSD
- Display – 4.5” Estrade display
- Camera – 8MP auto-focus rear camera
- Network – 4G
- Battery – User-replaceable battery
The device will run gesture based Sailfish OS, and you’ll be able to run Android apps.
For a closer look, have a look at the teaser video.
One caveat if that the smartphone should only be available at the end of 2013, and, at the beginning at least, only in Europe. The phone will cost 399 Euros including (24%) VAT, but you can pre-order today via 3 options:
- 100 Euros voucher – Jolla phone + other half (apparently a customizable shell) + priority pre-order status
- 40 Euros (no voucher) – Jolla phone + T-shirt + priority order pre-status
- Register your interest for Jolla – No charge, but you’ll get on a list for an reserved number.
The pre-order options, and specifications are not 100% clear at this stage, but we’ll learn more at Jolla Loveday event in Helsinki later today.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.