Since about a year, we’ve seen several Android based game console such as the Ouya or PlayJam GameStick coming to market. These are sold below $100, but feature some older hardware specs that may not run the latest games at optimal speed. Mad Catz game console, powered by an Nvidia Tegra 4, provides a much smoother gaming experience, but cost $199.99. If you’d like the performance of the Mad Catz but at a lower price point, ZTE Funbox also powered by Nvidia Tegra 4 quad core Cortex A15 processor is currently available on Aliexpress for $145.99 including shipping.
- SoC – Nvidia Tegra 4 quad core ARM Cortex A15 @ 1.8 GHz with 72-core GeForce ULP GPU (74.8 GFLOPS)
- System Memory – 2GB DDR3L
- Storage – 8GB eMMC 4.5 up to 120MB/s
- Audio / Video Output – HDMI up to 1080p60 or 4K30
- Connectivity – Ethernet, dual band Wi-Fi (2.4/5GHz), and Bluetooth 4.0
- USB – 1x USB host port, 1x micro USB OTG
- Power – 12V/1.5A
- Dimensions – 78x78x84 mm
- Weight – 450 grams (package weight?)
The device is said to ship with an HDMI cable, a micro USB to male USB cable, a micro USB to female USB adapter, a power adapter, a warranty card, a user’s manual in Chinese, as well as a Bluetooth game pad, and a 14-button Bluetooth remote. It runs Android 4.3 with a customized user interface, access to Nvidia Tegrazone with over 200 games, but the UI is apparently only available in Chinese at this point. It’s not clear whether there will be an English version available lateron. More pictures of the device, accessories, and user’s interface are available via this Aliexpress shop that sells the box for $159 + shipping.