D-Link is entering the automation market with a Wi-Fi smart plug (Model DSP-W215) that configurable via WPS, allows you to control and monitor your electrical appliance via Android 4.0+ and iOS6+ mobile devices, and it even has an overheating protection mechanism that can apparently detect if the plug or the device itself overheats.
Let’s go through the technical specifications:
- Wi-Fi – IEEE 802.11n (According to pictures found via FCC filings, the chipset is Atheros AR1311_AL1A)
- Misc – Power / Status LEDs, On/Off button
- Dimensions – 9 x 6.10 x 3.56 cm (3.54″ x 2.40″ x 1.40″)
- Weight – 125 g (4.41 ounces)
- Power Input – 100 to 125 V AC / 5W maximum power consumption
- Temperature Range – Operating: 0 to 40 °C, Storage: -20 to 65 °F
- Humidity – Operating: 10% to 90% non-condensing, Storage: 5% to 95% non-condensing
Based on these specs, since it can only work between 100 and 125 V AC it is can only work for North America and some countries in South America. The temperature range makes clear it’s only for indoor use, and it’s not usable outdoor, or even in some places without heating and/or cooling. The device itself consumes only up to 5W, but strangely there’s no indication of the maximum power ratings for connected electrical appliances.
The setup appears to be pretty easy, as you just need to press the WPS button on the device and your router to get a connection. Then you simply need to install “mydlink WiFi Smart Plug” for Android or iOS to control the plug remotely, receive push notifications, access energy use statistics, schedule power on/off, and setup overheat protection. You can watch the promo video below if you please.
D-Link Wi-Fi Smart Plug (DSP-W215) is available now for $49.99. The product is very similar to Belkin WeMo Switch both in terms of price and features. If you’re looking cheaper and/or international option you could checkout Broadlink SP2 with about the same feature or a slightly lower price, or the $20 Kankun KK-SP3 with basic controls and schedule via Wi-Fi (no power monitoring).