In my list of RK3288 TV boxes, I mentioned that although many products had been announced with Rockchip’s quad core Cortex A17 SoC, no reliable company had listed prices yet, except for one selling for $99.99 on Aliexpress, but with no clear shipping date, and nobody to answer potential customer requests. One reader left a comment about OTT-928 Android TV box also featuring a 5MP retractable camera and (pre-)selling on Asiapads for $119.99 including shipping with delivery currently scheduled for July 20, but it can also be purchased via one vendor on Aliexpress for as low as $114 under the name CS928 but with only 8GB flash, instead of 16GB on OTT928.
CS928 / OTT928 hardware specifications:
- SoC – Rockchip RK3288 quad core CortexA17 @ 1.8 GHz + Mali-T764 GPU with support for OpenGL ES 1.1/2.0 /3.0, and OpenCL 1.1
- System Memory – 2GB DDR3
- OTT928 – 16GB NAND Flash + micro SD slot (up to 32 GB)
- CS928 – 8GB NAND flash (16GB optional) + micro SD slot
- Connectivity – 100M/1000M Ethernet, dual band WiFi 802.11 b/g/n (2.4GHz/5GHz) and 802.11 a/c using external Wi-Fi antenna, and Bluetooth 4.0
- Video Output – HDMI output, AV output (3.5mm jack)
- Audio Output – HDMI, AV, and optical S/PDIF
- USB – 3x USB 2.0 host port, 1x micro USB OTG
- Camera – 5MP retractable camera
- Power Supply – 5V/2A
- Dimensions – 142.3×108.6x21mm
- Weight – About 500 grams ?
Nevertheless, I’m pleasantly surprised with the prices we start to see, that is around $100 or a bit more, because it’s roughly what Amlogic S802 based Android TV boxes could today, and RK3288 should provide significantly higher performance, especially when it comes to graphics. The only problem is that we’ll all have to wait for the end of July, or maybe August to get hold of these little toys.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.