AllWinner A33 is a new quad core Cortex A7 processor pin-to-pin compatible will AllWinner A23 dual core processor, that costs less than $5 with the power management IC (AXP223). Tablets based on the new processor are now available for sale, and just as low as $60 including shipping on Aliexpress. All models currently listed feature 9″ to 10″ displays, so it’s safe to expect 7″ tablets to be close to $50.
Let’s check the specs of one of the no-name 9″ tablets currently available:
- SoC – AllWinner A33 quad core Cortex A7 processor @ 1.3 GHz (Overclocked to 1.5GHz???) with Mali-400MP2 GPU
- System Memory – 512MB RAM
- Storage – 8GB NAND FLASH + microSD card slot (Up to 32GB)
- Display – 9″ capacitive touch screen (800 x 480 pixels, 5 points touch)
- Connectivity – 802.11 b/g/n Wi-Fi and Bluetooth. 3G is supported via external 3G USB dongle.
- Camera – 0.3M front camera, 1.3MP rear camera
- USB – 1x micro USB 2.0 port
- Audio – Speakers, earphone jack
- Video Codecs – H.264, VP8, RV, WMV, AVS, H.263, MPEG4 up to 1080p
- Audio formats – MP3, WMA, WAV, ACC, ACC+
- Sensors – Gravity sensor
- Battery – 3000 mAH Lithium battery
- Dimensions – 263 x 165 x 11.5 mm
- Weight – 650 gram???
The tablet runs Android 4.4.2, and comes with a 5V/2A power adapter, a OTG cable, a micro USB to USB cable, and a user’s manual. 512 MB RAM used to be a limitation in previous version of Android, but that might be OK with Android 4.4, as Google optimized Android for device with 512 MB RAM. I’d expect 800×480 resolution for a 9″ display will be somewhat pixelated, and the dual cameras to be a disaster. But if it’s for a first tablet, for a kid, or for tablet used as a control panel it could be an option. I and a few people around me purchased low cost tablets in the last few years, and I found them to be mostly usable, but you can’t expect to keep them to last very long because of the battery which will survive 6 months to a little over a year depending on your usage…
You may also want to read the press release for details about SmartColor image processing technology, video decoder performance, and power consumption (up to 300 hours in standaby mode with a 4,000 mAh battery).
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.
You can always get a replacement battery from aliexpress for around $10 so if you really like the tablet you can keep using it.
Any point in quad core with only 512MB RAM?
“pin-to-pin compatible will AllWinner A20” – is it means that SATA interface supported?
I think it’s an error. A33 is pin-to-pin compatible with A23.
Sorry about that. Miska is correct. A33 is pin-to-pin compatible with A23.
That smells like an inet device in the picture there.
Anyway, A23 has not really gone off as well as we hoped in the community. Allwinner still has not complied to the GPL on it. A33 will not see much traction either unless Allwinner shapes up soon.
Hi dnt no much about these things but have been looking to see if the allwinner a33 tablet will run kodi jus wanted a cheap tablet for this use solely. Thanks