Emcraft Systems has launched a IoT development kit based on on their Freescale Vybrid VF6 SoM featuring MVF61 SoC with a Cortex A5 MPU and a Cortex M4 MCU, and connected to a baseboard (IOT-BSB-EXT) with various connectors (USB, Ethernet, …) as well as a 4.3″ LCD (480×272 resolution) with touchscreen. The kit targets IoT gateway applications where a GUI (Graphical User Interface) and/or HMI (Human Machine Interface) are required.
Vybrid IoT devkit specifications:
- SoC/Memory/Storage – Via Vybrid VF6 SoM with Freescale MVF61NN151CMK50 (No Security), or Freescale MVF61NS151CMK50 (with Security), 128 MB DDR3, Up to 512 MB NAND Flash, and 32 MBytes dual QSPI Flash
- Storage on Baseboard – micro SD card slot
- Display – 4.3″ 480×272 LCD with touch panel connected to the back side of the baseboard.
- Connectivity – 10/100M Ethernet
- USB – 2x micro USB OTG ports, 1x micro USB for debugging and/or power
- Debugging – 20-pin JTAG interface, USB UART interface connected to UART port of the Vybrid VF6 (can also be used to power the kit)
- Misc – “Power good” LED, User LEDs, Reset push button
- Dimensions – 100 x 70 mm
The kit includes a VF6 System-on-Module (SOM), the IOT-BSB-EXT baseboard, the IOT-LCD board and 4.3″ 480×272 LCD with touch panel connected to the baseboard, a mini USB Y cable for UART and power interface, an Ethernet cable, and a USB OTG cable.
Emcraft Vybrid IoT Starter Kit (KIT-VF6-IOT) supports both Linux for the ARM Cortex A5 core and Freescale MQX RTOS for the Cortex M4 core. The kit comes pre-loaded with U-Boot and a sample Linux configuration “demonstrating fast boot to the GUI, sophisticated GUI interfaces using Qt as well as various wired and wireless connectivity interfaces”. Documentation and software/hardware resources specific to the IoT devkit includes a Starter Kit Guide, VF6 SOM Software Development Environment, prebuilt Linux/MQX image ready to be loaded to the VF6 SOM, NAND Firmware configuration block image ready for installation onto the VF6 SOM, as well as schematics (PDF) and BoM the the baseboard and LCD board. Some resources are available publicly, and some require a login only available to those who purchased the kit.
Vybrid IOT Starter Kit is available now (2 weeks lead time) for $229. You can find more information on Emcraft IoT Kit page, as well as links to documentation and software/hardware files via the Release and Hardware tabs.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.