Yesterday, I wrote about two upcoming Amlogic S812 Android TV boxes by Eny Technology, namely M8S and M8C, with a production trial run scheduled by the end of this month, but I’ve seen then been informed that CX-S806 TV box with the latest Amlogic quad core processor, 2GB RAM, and 8GB eMMC flash is already shipping for as low as $80, as well as a model with a 2MP front camera called CX-S806S.
CX-S806 / CX-S806S technical specifications:
- SoC – Amlogic S812 quad core cortex A9r4 @ 2.0 GHz with octa-core Mali-450MP6 GPU up to 600+ MHz
- System Memory – 2 GB DDR3
- Storage – 8GB flash. No SD card slot
- Connectivity – 10/100M Ethernet, dual band 802.11 b/g/n Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 4.0 (AP6330 wireless module)
- Video Output – HDMI 2.0 up to 4K2K @ 60 Hz (TBC), 3.5mm AV jack (composite + stereo audio)
- Audio Output – HDMI, AV, optical S/PDIF
- Video Codecs – H.265 / HEVC [email protected] up to [email protected], H.264 AVC [email protected] up to [email protected], MPEG1/2/4 up to 1080p60, AVS up to 1080p60, WMV/VC-1 up to 1080p60, WebM up to VGA resolution, RealVideo 8/9/10 up to 1080p,
- Audio Formats/Codecs – MP3, WMA, OGG, FLAC, AAC, Dolby, DTS, SRS, AC-3
- Camera – 2MP front camera (CX-806S only)
- USB – 3x USB 2.0 host ports, including on OTG port.
- Misc – Reset button, recovery button.
- Power Supply – 5V/3A
- Dimensions – 160 x 96 x 31 mm
- Weight – 151 grams
The box runs Android 4.4.2 Kitkat with MediaBox launcher, and comes with an IR remote control, an HDMI cable, a power adapter, and a user’s manual. There’s uncertainty around the HDMI version used, because some sites indicate HDMI 2.0, while others mention HDMI 1.4b. You’ll only be able to add storage via USB, since there’s no (micro) SD card slot, and as with other Amlogic processors, Ethernet is still limited to 10/100M, despite Gigabit Ethernet being part of S812 (and S805) SoC features. So the only advantage over S802(-H) is support for HEVC / H.265 video decoding up to 2160p resolution.
CX-S806 can be purchased on Amazon US ($79.99), as well as GeekBuying for $84.99, and about the same price on Aliexpress. The version with camera, CX-S806S, is selling for $89.99. Make sure to double check the processor is indeed S812, as an earlier version of CX-S806 ships with Amlogic S802 instead. CX-S806 manufacturer appears to be Shenzhen Sunchip Technology.