XBMC / Kodi is now working pretty well on Android devices, and even automatic frame rate switching is available on some Android platforms such as MINIX NEO X6. But if you want a pure XBMC experience, you may consider XBMC/Kodi Linux distributions such as OpenELEC also providing support for some USB DVB tuner dongles and PVR function, both of which are currently unavailable in Kodi for Android. We’ve also seen OpenELEC released for M8 TV Box, but Kerber, a Russian developer (or at least a Russian speaking developer) has also released OpenELEC 4.97.x for MXIII (Amlogic S802), Tronsmart Vega S89 (Amlogic S802), TV110 (Amlogic S805) , and CX-S806 (Amlogic S812) media players.
- OpenELEC-Amlogic.MX3.arm-4.97.2.zip for MXIII (1GB)
- OpenELEC-Amlogic.S82.arm-4.97.2.zip for Tronsmart Vega S89 (2GB)
- OpenELEC-Amlogic.TV110.arm-4.97.2.zip for TV110
- OpenELEC-Amlogic.S806.arm-4.97.2.zip for CX-S806 (Amlogic S812 version)
Download is a little slow, so I haven’t checked the content of the zipped firmware, but if it is the same as OpenELEC for M8, these should be “OTA update” files where you just need to copy to an SD card or a USB flash drive, and enter recovery mode to complete the update.
Rough instructions to enable PVR in OpenELEC:
- Select and enable one of two backends from OpenELEC repository: VDR or tvheadend
- Configure VDR with pvr frontend VNSI add-on, or tvheadend with TVH / HTS client
- If you use tvheadend backend, you’ll get a Web based user interface @ ip_address:9981
Let us know if you try these, and your feedback in the comments section.
Thank to Ovidiu for the information.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.
|Support CNX Software - Donate via PayPal or become a Patron on Patreon|