Amlogic S812 processor is an upgrade of S802 processor with HEVC/H.265 hardware video decoding up to 3840×2160 resolution, and Gigabit Ethernet support, and it looks like the first Android TV boxes will start shipping by early November, starting with Xtreamer Wonder “TV entertainment system” running Android 4.4 Kitkat and XBMC / Kodi.
- SoC – Amlogic S812-H quad core cortex A9r4 @ 2 GHz with Mali-450MP6 GPU
- System Memory – 2GB DDR3
- Storage – 16GB eMMC 5.0 + micro SD card reader
- Connectivity – 10/100M Ethernet, 802.11 b/g/n Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 4.0
- Video Output – HDMI 1.4
- Audio Output – HDMI, optical S/PDIF
- Video Container Formats – DAT, MPEG, MPE, MPG, TS/TP, VOB, ISO, AVI, MP4, MOV, 3GP, FLV, MKV, M2TS, MTS, M4V, WMV, ASF, RM/RMVB, etc…
- Audio Formats – MP2, MP3, WMA, WAV, OGG, OGA, FLAC, ALAC, APE, AAC etc… Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital+, and DTS
- USB – 3x USB 2.0 host ports
- Power Supply – 5V/2A
- Dimensions – 13.8 x 16.6 x 2.8 cm
- Weight – 190 grams.
The box will run Android 4.4 Kitkat with Xtreamer ver 2.0 UI, and ship with Xtreamer AirMouse, an HDMI cable, a power adapter, and a quick start guide.
There should not be hardware differences between S812 and S812-H SoC, expect the latter will come with an SDK supporting Dolby Digital & DTS with the right licenses, and any media app in Android should be able to handle these audio formats. 5-ch and 7-ch pass-though is said to be supported too.
Amlogic S812 is also supposed to support Gigabit Ethernet, but this box seems limited to 10/100M Ethernet, which could be an issue with some high bitrate (>60 Mbps) 4K videos, so the only advantage using S812-H or S802-H with this device is H.265 support.
Xtreamer Wonder is currently available for pre-oder for 99 Euros ($139 US) with shipping scheduled for October 31, 2014. Further details about the device and its air mouse, can be found on Xtreamer Wonder product page.
Thank you dhead666!
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.