CX-S806 is one of the first Android TV boxes powered by Amlogic S812, providing both 4K UHD video output, and H.265 codec support. It started selling for about $80 with 2GB RAM at the end of October, but now you can get the 1GB RAM version for $62.90, and the 2GB version for $73.10, both prices including shipping from an Aliexpress seller with excellent feedback, albeit from only 22 sales.
- SoC – Amlogic S812 quad core cortex A9r4 @ 2.0 GHz with octa-core Mali-450MP6 GPU up to 600+ MHz
- System Memory – 1 to 2 GB DDR3
- Storage – 8GB flash. No SD card slot
- Connectivity – 10/100M Ethernet, dual band 802.11 b/g/n Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 4.0 (AP6330 wireless module)
- Video Output – HDMI 1.4b up to 2160p @ 30 Hz (Summary says HDMI 2.0, specs 1.4b), 3.5mm AV jack (composite + stereo audio)
- Audio Output – HDMI, AV, optical S/PDIF
- Video Codecs – H.265 / HEVC [email protected] up to [email protected], H.264 AVC [email protected] up to [email protected], MPEG1/2/4 up to 1080p60, AVS up to 1080p60, WMV/VC-1 up to 1080p60, WebM up to VGA resolution, RealVideo 8/9/10 up to 1080p,
- Audio Formats/Codecs – MP3, WMA, OGG, FLAC, AAC, Dolby, DTS, SRS, AC-3
- USB – 3x USB 2.0 host ports, including one OTG port.
- Misc – Reset button, recovery button.
- Power Supply – 5V/3A
- Dimensions – 160 x 96 x 31 mm
- Weight – 151 grams
The box runs Android 4.4.2 Kitkat with MediaBox launcher, and comes with an IR remote control, an HDMI cable, a power adapter, and a user’s manual.
I can’t find any reviews for CX-806 yet, but if you buy one make sure it comes with S812, as earlier models featured Amlogic S802 instead. I haven’t review any Amlogic S812 devices yet, although I do have an M8S media player sitting on my sofa, but it has been collecting dust, since the firmware is not quite ready for testing, so I’m just patiently waiting. Next week, I’ll receive a MINIX NEO X8-H Plus, so I should finally able to try out Amlogic S812 4K/H.265 capabilities.
Thanks to Gabe for the tip.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.
|Support CNX Software - Donate via PayPal, become a Patron on Patreon, or buy review samples|