MINIX has now announced an updated version of their MINIX NEO X8-H android media player simply called MINIX NEO X8-H Plus, replacing Amlogic S802 by Amlogic S812, which brings support for video playback of H.265 / HEVC videos up to 4K resolution, and Gigabit Ethernet. The Wi-Fi module also appears to been upgraded to support 802.11ac.
The rest of the specifications are exactly the same as NEO X8-H:
- SoC – Amlogic S812 quad core cortex A9r4 @ 2 GHz with Mali-450MP6 GPU
- System Memory – 2GB DDR3
- Storage – 16GB eMMC + SD/MMC card reader
- Connectivity – 10/100/1000M Ethernet, dual band 802.11 b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 4.0
- Video Output – HDMI 1.4 up to 4K @ 30 fps, with CEC support
- Audio Output / Input – HDMI, 3.5mm stereo jacks for speakers and microphone, optical S/PDIF
- Video Container Formats – DAT, MPEG, MPE, MPG, TS/TP, VOB, ISO, AVI, MP4, MOV, 3GP, FLV, MKV, M2TS, MTS, M4V, WMV, ASF, RM/RMVB, etc…
- Video Codecs – MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4, H.264, VC-1, H.265, etc…
- Audio Formats – MP2, MP3, WMA, WAV, OGG, OGA, FLAC, ALAC, APE, AAC, Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital+, and DTS
- USB – 3x USB 2.0 host ports, 1x micro USB port
- Misc – IR receiver.
- Power Supply – 5V/3A
- Dimensions – 12.8 x 12.8 x 2.1 cm
- Weight – 340 grams
Accessories also appears to be the same: 5V/3A power adapter (1.80m cable), a short OTG cable (23cm), a micro USB cable (1m), an HDMI cable (1.02m), a Wi-Fi antenna, an IR remote control, and an English user’s manual. There’s also M1 air mouse and its USB receiver included in the package.
The device runs Android 4.4.2, and I’ve been told it would ship next week (Monday). I hope the firmware is better than the current version available for M8S, as I’ve had to postpone my review due to too many issues, including one hardware (power supply) related problem.
MINIX NEO X8-H Plus currently sells for about $159 including shipping [
Update: X8HPCN coupon will lower the price to $146.99], instead of $149 for NEO X8-H. I got the information via Gearbest, but it’s also available for purchase on GeekBuying, and Ebay for now.