Atmel has introduced an upgrade to their Atmel SAMA5D3 Xplained development board with SAMA5D4 Xplained Ultra replacing SAMA5D36 by SAMA5D44 embedded micro-processor for 720p hardware video decoding support, and adding HDMI output, extra storage and memory, etc… but losing one Ethernet port.
Atmel SAMA5D4 Xplained Ultra (XLUT) specifications:
- MPU – Atmel SAMA5D44 Cortex-A5 Microprocessor @ 536 MHz
- System Memory – 2x 2Gbit DDR2 memory
- Storage – 4 Gbit NAND Flash, 1x 4-bit SD card connector (not populated), 1x 4-bit micro SD connector, optional serial EEPROM (SPI), one EEPROM with MAC address and serial number.
- Connectivity – 1x Ethernet 10/100M
- Display – 1x LCD interface connector, 1x HDMI port
- USB – 1x micro USB device connector, 2x USB host connectors
- Debugging – 1x 20-pin J-TAG connector, 1x EDBG connector (not populated), 1x serial DBGU interface (3.3V)
- Expansion – Arduino R3-compatible headers, XPRO set of connectors; ADC inputs and CAN interfaces
- Misc – Reset, wake-up, and user push buttons, 1x user/power LED, 1x user LED, RTC battery slot (CR1225)
- Power Supply – 5V from USB, power jack or Arduino headers; On-board regulation with PMIC; Power measurement straps
- Dimensions – 135 x 88 x 20 mm
The kit also includes a micro USB cable and a welcome letter.Some documentation is available on Element14 page, including the user’s guide, SAMA5D4 eMPUs datasheet, and two application notes. There’s little information about software support for now, and we are being redirected to Atmel’s SAMA5D4 Software Package page with IAR and some GNU tools. But if we go to Linux4SAM instead we’ll find a Linux4SAM Yocto/Poky distribution for the board, as well building and flashing instructions. There’s also an Android 4.4.2 image with source code. Just like SAMA5D3 Xplained, SAMA5D4 XULT board is open source hardware, and you can find the hardware design and manufacturing files on SAMA5D4 Xplained Ultra product’s page.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.
|Support CNX Software - Donate via PayPal or become a Patron on Patreon|