Allwinner announced Allwinner H8 octa-core Cortex A7 processor in Q4 2014, which targets game console and TV boxes,but since then I had not really heard about hardware based on this new SoC. Merrii Technology has now launched a development board powered by Allwinner H8, and confusingly called it H7 Hummingbird.
H7 Hummingboard development board specifications:
- SoC – AllWinner H8 octa-core ARM Cortex-A7 processor @ up to 2.0GHz with PowerVR SGX544 GPU @ up to 700MHz
- System Memory – 1GB DDR3
- Storage – 4GB eMMC flash + micro SD card slot or SD card slot (option) up to 32GB
- Video Output / Display I/F – HDMI up to 1080p, MIPI DSI connector, LCD connector for RGB/CPU/LVDS LCD including a 6-pin header for backlight. Capacitive touch panel header
- Audio – HDMI, headset/microphone jack, audio speaker connector,
- Connectivity – 10/100M Ethernet (Despite the processor support Gigabit Ethernet), WiFi 802.11b/g/n and Bluetooth 4.0 via optional AP6210 module
- USB – 1x USB 2.0 host port, 1x USB 2.0 host header, 1x USB OTG port (full size)
- Camera – 1x MIPI CSI header
- Other Expansion Headers
- Serial – 2x RS232 headers, 1x debug header
- 6-pin header for recovery, key, reset, power, and uboot keys
- 6-pin header for 5 GPIOs
- 5-pin header for 5 GPIOs
- Misc – RTC with battery slot, IR receiver, LED,
- Power Supply – 12V DC power barrel (36W power supply), 12V DC via “6-pin socket with STB function”
- Dimensions – 111 x 90 x 15mm
By default, the board comes pre-installed with Android 4.4.2, but the company can also provide a Linux 3.4 + Qt image, and the source code is available to those who purchase the board. In the past, Merrii did not have very good support for overseas customers in the past (at least for individuals/hobbyists), and you’ll find plenty of spam threads in their English forums, so I doubt this has changed. The Chinese forums appear to be more active though.
Merrii said the board is available right now for $90, and you can find some more details on H7 Hummingbird page, or if you need to find out the headers’ pinout, check out the datasheet. The board is not the only H8 hardware platform available right now, as some Allwiner H8 TV boxes are now selling on Aliexpress for $62 to $75 including inphic i9 and Teclast K8 mini PCs.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.
no SATA or pci-e bus?
Note:inphic I8 has allwinner h8
Inphic I9 has two versions one based on s805 and h8
I have a inphic I8.. with Android and posting my user feedback on freaktab
-inphic I8 comes with Android or yunos (there are also fakes with a31chip )
Well nice but with only 1GB of RAM no thanks… I’m still looking forward to see what board AMD will bring with ARM64