VIA Embedded Store has just sent a newsletter to announce the launch of the company’s latest rugged embedded computer, AMOS-3005, powered by VIA Eden X4 processor and VX11 media processor and chipset, supporting temperature ranges from -10°C to 60°C, and featuring a flexible 9V-36V DC input.
- Processor – VIA Eden X4 quad core 64-bit x86 processor @ 1.2 GHz (NanoBGA2 package) with 2MB L2 cache, 1066 MHz front side bus
- Chipset – VIA VX11 Media System Processor with an integrated VIA Chrome 640/645 graphics processor supporting DirectX 11, and OpenCL, as well as a VIA ChromotionHD 5.0 video engine supporting dual 1080p HD decoding of H.264, MPEG-2, WMV9, and VC-1 codecs.
- System Memory – 1x DDR3 1333 SDRAM SODIMM socket (Up to 8GB memory size)
- Storage – 1x mSATA slot, 32Mbit Flash memory for AMI BIOS.
- Video Output- 1x HDMI, 1x VGA up to 2048×1536, with dual independent displays support
- Audio – VIA VT2021 High Definition Audio Codec, Line-out and Mic-in
- Connectivity – 2x Gigabit Ethernet ports (via Realtek RTL8111G PCIe controller), 1x SIM slot. 3G, GPS and Wi-Fi can be added via optional wireless modules.
- USB – 2x USB 3.0 ports, 2x USB 2.0 ports (lockable for secure connections)
- Serial – 2x RS-232/422/485 serial ports (DB9)
- Expansion – 1x miniPCIe slot, 1x DIO port for 8-bit GPIO
- Misc – Power on/off button, LED for HDD and Power, Watchdog Timer
- Power Supply
- 9 ~ 36V DC-in (typical: 19 Watts) via 2-pole Phoenix DC jack
- Supports Wake-on LAN, keyboard power-on, timer power-on, system power management, AC power failure recovery, Watchdog timer control
- Dimensions – 150.5mm(W) x 48.1mm(H) x 109.8mm(D)
- Weight – 1.4 kg
- Temperature Range – Operating: 0°C ~ 60°C with qualified industrial grade mSATA; Storage: -20°C ~ 70°C
- Relative humidity – 0% ~ 95% (relative humidity; non-condensing)
- Vibration loading during operation with mSATA Flash Drive: 5Grms, IEC 60068-2-64, random, 5 ~ 500Hz, 1 Oct./min, 1hr/axis
- Shock during operation with mSATA Flash Drive: 50G, IEC 60068-2-27, half size, 11ms duration
- Compliance – CE/FCC
The kits includes AMOS-3005 system, a 12V/5A AC-to-DC adapter with a 2-pole phoenix plug to DC jack, screw packs for mounting and Mini PCI-e card, washer rubbers pack, thermal pad for the mSATA module, and a syringe with thermal grease. The computer also supports Wall/DIN rail/VESA mounting system. Memory and storage are not included, which means you’ll also need to install your own operating systems, which can be Windows 10/8.1/8/7, WES 7, or Linux distributions.
The computer targets industrial automation, remote terminal and data collection, as well as in-vehicle computing applications. The barebone system is not quite cheap, but it’s expected for an industrial & automotive PC, as it sells without storage nor memory for $539 on VIA Embedded Store. More details, including the user’s manual and Windows drivers, can be found on AMOS-3005 product page.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.
3 Replies to “VIA Introduces AMOS-3005 Fanless Rugged Computer with Eden X4 x86 Processor, and VX11 Media Processor”
VIA ARTiGO A1250 is another Eden X4 based systems coming in Q3 2015, and that should be slightly more affordable.
Hi! Just to clarify, the ARTiGO A1250 is a QuadCore E-series, a different (older) CPU, not an Eden X4. Also, the biggest part of the price difference is that the AMOS series are ruggedized systems for harsh environments (e.g. in vehicle, factory,…), while the ARTiGO series is optimized for signage and normal environments.
Thanks for the very detailed write-up, though! Happy to answer any other questions too! 🙂
Two more devices/boards based on Eden X4:
EPIA-E900 board -> http://www.viatech.com/en/boards/epia-e900/
VIPRO VP7910-VIA panel PC -> http://www.viatech.com/en/systems/panel-pcs/vipro-vp7910/