Linux based Popcorn Hour VTEN media player is based on Sigma Designs SMP8757 Cortex A9 processor, and supports video playback up to 4K @ 30 fps (H.264 and H.265), and 7.1 channel audio pass-through. It’s not running Kodi, but CloudMedia’s own media application, and the build quality is superior to most devices thanks to its metallic enclosure.
That’s one of the best media player I’ve reviewed so far with H.265 10-bit 4K video playback support, HDMI audio pass-through working for 5.1 and 7.1 channels audio, and very good playback quality. There were a few codecs that were not supported at the time however, such as RealMedia and VP8, and it does not support VP9 either like the vast majority of players on the market today. There were also a few bugs here and there, so the winner may want to upgrade to the latest firmware in case the OTA update does not work. Gigabit Ethernet and eSATA ports are also bonuses. So while it’s not quite as versatile as Android TV boxes, the device excels at playing videos.
You can find more pictures in Popcorn Hour VTEN unboxing and teardown post.
To enter the draw simply leave a comment below.
Other rules are as follows:
- Only one entry per contest. I will filter out entries with the same IP and/or email address.
- Contests are open for 48 hours starting at 10am (Bangkok time) every day. Comments will be closed after 48 hours.
- Winners will be selected with
- I’ll contact the winner by email, and I’ll expect an answer within 24 hours, or I’ll pick another winner. (Please make sure my email cnxsoft <at> cnx-software.com is while-listed, I’ve already had to redraw twice this week)
- Free EMS for winners with a shipping address in Thailand
- $29 for registered airmail small packet for the rest of the world payable via Paypal within 48 hours once the contest (for a given product) is complete. Popcorn Hour VTEN is an heavy device (well over 1kg) which explains why it’s more expensive to ship than others.
- If PayPal is not available in your country, you can still play, and I’ll cover the cost of sending the parcel by Sea and Land (SAL) if you win.
- I’ll post all 7 prizes at the same time, around the 11th of November
- I’ll make sure we have 7 different winners, so if you have already won a device during this giveaway week, I’ll draw another person.
Sadly that’s the last giveaway for this week, and I expect for this year. Congratulations to all winners, and thanks to all who participated!
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.
|Support CNX Software - Donate via PayPal or cryptocurrencies, become a Patron on Patreon, or buy review samples|