Shenzhen Xunlong has made yet another Allwinner H3 board. It’s called Orange Pi Plus 2 with basically the same specifications as Orange Pi Plus, but the layout has been modified with a slightly wider board, and the RAM upgraded from 1GB to 2GB.
Orange Pi Plus 2 specifications:
- SoC – Allwinner H3 quad core Cortex A7 @ 1.2 GHz with ARM Mali-400MP2 GPU up to 600 MHz
- System Memory – 2GB DDR3
- Storage – 8GB eMMC, micro SD card slot, SATA interface (via a USB to SATA chip),
- Video Output – HDMI, AV port
- Audio I/O – HDMI, AV port, on-board microphone
- Connectivity – 10/100/1000M Ethernet, 802.11 b/g/n Wi-Fi (Realtek RTL8189ETV)
- USB – 4x USB 2.0 host ports, 1x micro USB OTG port
- Camera – CSI Interface
- Expansions – 40-pin Raspberry Pi Model A+/B+ (mostly) compatible header
- Debugging – 3-pin UART header for serial console
- Misc – IR receiver; Power, recovery, and upgrade buttons
- Power Supply – 5V/2A via barrel jack or micro USB OTG; Power and status LEDs
- Dimensions – 108 x 67 mm (Pi Plus is 108 x 60 mm)
- Weight – 52 grams
So that means we now have 5 Orange Pi boards powered by Allwinner H3 processor. One website did a comparison table, which I translated and reproduced here, adding a row for price (without shipping).
|Orange Pi Plus||Orange Pi Plus 2||Orange Pi 2||Orange Pi mini 2||Orange Pi PC|
|CPU||Allwinner H3(4x Cortex-A7 @ 1.2 GHz)|
|Wireless LAN||Yes (RTL8189ETV)||No|
|USB||4 ports + 1x micro USB OTG||3 ports + 1 micro USB OTG|
|Buttons||Power, Recovery, Uboot||Power|
So while software support and documentation is far from optimal, if you can get the board working for your applications, it’s hard to beat the price for the features set offered n Orange Pi boards. Orange Pi Plus 2 is available now for $49 plus shipping ($3.26 to my location).
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.