We’ve already seen Rockchip RK3229 quad core processor with 4K 10-bit H.264 and H.265, and 4K VP9 support announced at CES 2016. Sunchip CX-R9 will be one of the first devices on the market with the new processor, and includes 1GB RAM and 8GB storage.
Sunchip CX-R9 specifications:
- SoC – Rockchip RK3229 quad core ARM Cortex A7 processor @ 1.5 GHz with ARM Mali-400MP2
- System Memory – 1GB DDR3
- Storage – 8GB eMMC + SD card reader
- Video Output – HDMI 2.0 up to 4K2K @ 60 fps
- Audio Output – HDMI, and optical S/PDIF
- Video Codec – 4K2K 10-bit H.265 @ 60 fps (Up to 200 Mbps), 4K 10-bit H.264 @ 30 fps (Up to 250 Mbps) and 4K 8-bit VP9 @ 30 fps (Up to 200 Mbps)
- Connectivity – 100Mbps Ethernet, 802.11 b/g/n WiFi and Bluetooth 4.0
- USB – 3x USB 2.0 host ports, including on OTG port (Based on CX-R8 design)
- Power Supply – TBC
- Dimensions – 134 x 117 x 18.5 mm
As previously mentioned one downside of RK3229 SoC is that it only supports Android 4.4.2, against similarly priced competitor like Amlogic S905. However, it is one of the rare platforms, actually the only I know of baring software decode, that supports 10-bit H.264, so you should be able to play the many anime videos distributed with that codec. VP9 support at up to 4K @ 30 Hz if also an advantage against S905, and Rockchip also claims faster video start time, and higher bitrate support up to 200+ Mbps. I’ve noticed Amlogic S905 cannot play one of my video sample at 120 Mbps smoothly, so this would definitely be an advantage for RK3229, although I’m not sure there are that many 100+ Mbps videos.
Sunchip CX-R9 should become available in February, and it currently sells for $32 for 1k orders.
|Support CNX Software - Donate via PayPal or become a Patron on Patreon|