Cypress Semiconductor has recently unveiled PSoC 4 L-Series micro-controller family based on ARM Cortex M0 core with more programmable analog and digital blocks, expanded memory, new peripherals and higher number of I/Os, as well as the corresponding Arduino compatible CY8CKIT-046 PSoC 4 L-Series Pioneer Kit to evaluate their latest solution.
Key features of PSoC 4 L-Series MCU
- ARM Cortex-M0 CPU @ 48-MHz with DMA controller, up to 256KB flash, up to 32KB SRAM and up to 98 GPIOs
- CapSense with SmartSense auto-tunning – 2x Cypress Capacitive Sigma-Delta (CSD) blocks
- Programmable analog
- 4x configurable opamps
- 4x current DACs (IDACs)
- 2x low-power comparators (CMP)
- One 12-bit, 1-Msps SAR ADC
- Programmable digital
- 8x Universal Digital Blocks (UDBs)
- 8x configurable 16-bit TCPWM
- 4x independent serial communication blocks (SCBs)
- Full-Speed USB 2.0 controller
- 2x CAN Controllers
- Segment LCD Drive support up to a maximum of 64 output (commons or segments)
- 1.71 to 5.5 V Operation
- 20-nA Stop Mode with GPIO pin wakeup
- Hibernate and Deep Sleep modes allow wakeup-time versus power trade-offs
- Packages – 48-pin TQFP, 64-pin TQFP, 68-pin QFN, 124-pin μBGA
PSoC 4 L series micro-controller are programmed with Cypress PSoC Creator IDE running on Windows only, several getting started guides can be downloaded, and you may join Cypress Developer Community for support.
The quickest way to get started or/and evaluation the new MCU is to get CY8CKIT-046 PSoC 4 L-Series Pioneer Kit with PSoC 4 L-Series pioneer board, a USB standard-A to Mini-B cable, 4 jumper wires, 2 proximity sensor wires, a stereo audio earphone with microphone, and a Quick Start Guide.
Pioneer board specifications:
- MCU – PSoC 4200L (CY8C4248BZI-L489) Cortex M0 @ 48 MHz with 256KB flash and 32KB RAM
- Storage – 1 Mbit Cypress F-RAM (FM24V10G) + footprint for micro SD slot or serial NOR flash
- Wireless Connectivity – Bluetooth 4.1 LE via footprint for EZ-BLE PRoC module (CYBLE-022001-00)
- USB – 1x micro USB connector, 1x KitProg USB connector
- Audio – 3.5mm audio jack
- PSoC 5LP programmer and debugger chip
- PSoC 5LP I/O header (2x 8-pin)
- PSoC 4200L program and debug header
- Expansion Headers
- Arduino compatible headers on main board (left)
- Arduino compatible headers on shield board (right)
- Digilent Pmod compatible I/O header
- Character LCD header
- 2x CapSense proximity headers
- EZ-BLE I/O header
- Misc – Current measurement jumper, reset and user buttons, RGB LED, status LEDs, CapSense Gesture pad
- 5V via micro USB port
- Footprint for Cypress Energy Harvesting PMIC (S6AE101A)
- Dimensions – N/A
You can get extensive hardware and software documentation, as well as purchase the devkit for $49 on PSoC 4 L-Series Pioneer Kit product page.
PSoC 4 L-Series MCUs are currently sampling with production expected this quarter. More details can be found on PSoC 4 L-Series page.
Via EDN Europe
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.