Bubblegum-96 development board was unveiled nearly a year ago, and finally the Actions Semi S900 quad core Cortex A53 board compliant with Linaro’s 96Boards specifications will soon go on sale for $89. Most 96Boards development boards take a while to come to market, likely due to the software requirements.
uCRobotics Bubblegum-96 specifications:
- SoC – Actions Semi S900 quad core Cortex A53 @ up to 1.8 GHz with PowerVR G6230 GPU @ 600 MHz
- System Memory – 2GB LPDDR3 @ 800 MHz
- Storage – 8 GB eMMC 4.5 flash + micro SD v3.0 socket
- Video Output – HDMI 1.4 with HDCP up to 4K, MHL 2.1 up to 4K via USB connector
- Connectivity – Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n, Bluetooth 4.0
- USB – 1x USB 2.0 port, 1x USB 3.0 port, 1x micro USB 2.0 port
- 40-pin LS (Low Speed) Expansion connector – UART, I2C, 12x GPIOs, SPI, PCM, 1.8V, +5V, GND…
- 64-pin HS (High Speed) Expansion connector – MIPI DSI, MIPI CSI, SDIO, USB 2.0, I2C, etc…
- Misc – On/off, reset, and ADFU (firmware update) buttons
- Power Supply – 8-18V DC via 4.8/1.7mm power barrel; ATC2609 PMIC;
- Dimensions – 85 x 54 mm (96Boards compliant)
- Certifications – CE, FCC, Google GMS
The board runs Android 5.1 Lollipop, Debian Linux, Remix OS 2.0, and while not listed Phoenix OS logo is also shown. Several person has recently asked about the manufacturing process of the 64-bit ARM SoC, and S900 is built with 28nm LP process. Generally, processors using 40nm process are limited to around 1.2 GHz, while processor manufacturer using 28nm process technology can be clocked much higher and up to 2.0 GHz. Whether they can sustain that depend on software and the cooling solution.
The board is listed on 96boards.org website, and the Wiki page on Github has been setup but so far very little info has been posted, and the forums are completely inactive, but I’m sure soon enough many more details will be provided. It’s supposedly for sale, but all you can do is to “subscribe an order” for $89 by leaving your name and email on uCRobotics’ Bubblegum-96 product page.
|Support CNX Software - Donate via PayPal or become a Patron on Patreon|