There are many Android TV boxes based on Amlogic S905 processor on the market selling for as low as $40 shipped, and hardware-wise Unuiga S905 and S905+ TV boxes look quite similar to their competitors with respectively 1GB RAM and 16GB flash, and 2GB RAM and 32GB flash, but the main differentiating factor is official support for Remix OS 2.0.
- SoC – Amlogic S905 quad core ARM Cortex-A53 @ up to 2.0GHz with penta-core Mali-450MP GPU
- System Memory – S905: 1GB RAM; S905+: 2GB RAM
- Storage – micro SD slot; S905: 16GB flash, S905+: 32GB flash
- Video Output – HDMI 2.0, AV
- Audio – HDMI, AV, coaxial S/PDIF
- Gigabit Ethernet
- WiFi – S905: 802.11 b/g/n; S905+: dual band 802.11 b/g/n/ac
- Bluetooth 4.1 (according to comment on YouTube)
- USB – 2x USB 2.0 host ports
- Misc – IR receiver, touch button for power on/off and standby
- Power Supply – TBD
- Dimensions – 11.2 x 11.2 x 2 cm
Remix OS 2.0 is supposed to allow a better desktop use for Android thanks to improved multi-tasking support including better memory management so that background tasks are not killed as easily, multi-window support, a taskbar, a file manager for desktop user,… Charbax of ARMDevices.net is also involved in the campaign.
Unuiga does not really rely on crwodfunding for mass-production, but they’ve still decided to sell the device through Indiegogo with a fixed funding campaign aiming to raise at least $75,000. At first it looks like they’ve priced the devices very aggressively as Unuiga S905 requires a $25 early bird pledge, and Unuiga S905+ a $40 one, but shipping is not included and adds $15 to $40 via DHL. However, they’ve recently added “cheap shipping” rewards that bring the shipping fee down to a fixed $15 for all countries, but sadly is not available for early bird rewards, and does not include HDMI nor AV cables… So overall the price is about the same as what you’d find on Aliexpress, and the main draw is Remix OS. Delivery is scheduled for April 2016.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.
|Support CNX Software - Donate via PayPal or become a Patron on Patreon|