Octavo Systems has created a BeagleBone Black reference design that’s exactly like the original board, except for one detail: It’s based on the company’s OSD3358 system-in-package (SiP) that combine Texas Instruments AM3358 Cortex A8 processor with up to 1GB RAM, TI LDO and PMIC, and over 140 passive components into a single 400-ball BGA package. The only three other main components on the reference design are the eMMC flash, Ethernet transceiver and HDMI framer.
- Texas Instruments AM335x (AM3358 or AM3352) Cortex A8 processor @ 1 GHz
- 256MB, 512 MB or 1GB DDR3 memory
- Texas Instruments TPS62217C PMIC
- Texas Instruments TL5209 LDO
- Over 140 passive components
- Package – 400 1.27mm pitch BGA – 27 x 27 mm package size
- Temperature Range – Base version: 0 to 85°C; Industrial version: -40° to 85° C
Another example of board with OSD3358 is PocketBone, a mint box size Beaglebone features the SiP, two USB ports, the power circuitry, and some LEDs & test points.
OSD3358-512M-BAS with 512 MB RAM and commercial temperature range is available now for $30 per unit for 1K order. Other version are coming soon. The datasheet, BeagleBone Black reference design files (OrCAD) and other documentation can be found on Octavo Systems OSD335x product page.
Thanks to Freire for the tip.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.
6 Replies to “OSD3358 SiP Integrates TI Sitara AM3358 SoC, Memory, PMIC, LDO and Passive Components into a Single BGA System-in-Package”
What’s the “104 passive components”?
I guess some resistors, capacitors, etc…
Very exciting to see the new crop of SoCs/SoPs with enough embedded DRAM to run Linux. Others are:
– PIC32MZDA (32MB DRAM)
– MT7688K (8MB DRAM) – this one is already shipping in consumer products, mostly wifi repeaters, such as:
New version OSD335x-SM with a 40% smaller package (21mm X 21mm) and an extra 4KB EEPROM.
It will be available in Q3 2017.
See http://octavosystems.com/2017/05/02/osd335x-sm-announcement/ for details.
OSD335x-SM smaller packages,and $199 OSD3358-SM-RED development kit are now available: