Amlogic S905 Android TV boxes have been popular and inexpensive 64-bit ARM platform for Kodi, and other applications. But NEXBOX A95X must be the cheapest model I’ve come accross so far as it only sells for $26.99 including shipping on Banggood
NEXBOX A95X specifications:
- SoC – Amlogic S905 quad core ARM Cortex-A53 @ up to 2.0GHz with penta-core Mali-450MP GPU
- System Memory – 1GB DDR3
- Storage – 8GB NAND flash + micro SD card slot
- Video & Audio Output – HDMI 2.0, AV
- Video Codec – [email protected] Hz video decoding 10-bit HEVC and AVS+ codec support; H.264 up to 4K 30 Hz
- Connectivity – 10/100M Ethernet, 802.11 b/g/n Wi-Fi (no Bluetooth)
- USB – 2x USB 2.0 host ports
- Misc – IR receiver
- Power Supply – 5V/2A
- Dimensions – 93 x 93 x 11 mm
The device comes pre-installed with Android 5.1 and Google Play support. Kodi or SPMC should work well on the box, although features like audio HD pass-through and automatic frame rate switching would have to be tested.
People wanting to run Linux on this type of device might be able to do so, as progress has been made running Ubuntu on various S905 TV boxes, and Tronsmart Vega S95 boxes even has preliminary support in mainline Linux kernel.
Beside Banggood, the box is also sold on eBay but for a more standard $38, but other resellers are likely to follow in the next few days. Some limited information is also available on NEXBOX A95X product page. [Update: GearBest sells it for $24.99]
Thanks to Sander for the tip.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.