NEXBOX A95X Android TV Box Powered by Amlogic S905 Processor Sells for $27

Amlogic S905 Android TV boxes have been popular and inexpensive 64-bit ARM platform for Kodi, and other applications. But NEXBOX A95X must be the cheapest model I’ve come accross so far as it only sells for $26.99 including shipping on Banggood

Nexbox_A95X

NEXBOX A95X specifications:

• SoC –  Amlogic S905 quad core ARM Cortex-A53 @ up to 2.0GHz with  penta-core Mali-450MP GPU
  • System Memory – 1GB DDR3
  • Storage – 8GB NAND flash + micro SD card slot
  • Video & Audio Output – HDMI 2.0, AV
  • Video Codec – [email protected] Hz video decoding 10-bit HEVC and AVS+ codec support; H.264 up to 4K 30 Hz
  • Connectivity – 10/100M Ethernet, 802.11 b/g/n Wi-Fi (no Bluetooth)
  • USB – 2x USB 2.0 host ports
  • Misc – IR receiver
  • Power Supply –  5V/2A
  • Dimensions – 93 x 93 x 11 mm

The device comes pre-installed with Android 5.1 and Google Play support. Kodi or SPMC should work well on the box, although features like audio HD pass-through and automatic frame rate switching would have to be tested.

NEXBOX_A95X_HDMI_Ethernet_USB

People wanting to run Linux on this type of device might be able to do so, as progress has been made running Ubuntu on various S905 TV boxes, and Tronsmart Vega S95 boxes even has preliminary support in mainline Linux kernel.

Beside Banggood, the box is also sold on eBay but for a more standard $38, but other resellers are likely to follow in the next few days. Some limited information is also available on NEXBOX A95X product page. [Update: GearBest sells it for $24.99]

Thanks to Sander for the tip.

Support CNX Software - Donate via PayPal or become a Patron on Patreon
Advertisements
newest most voted
Benjamin
4 years ago

Thats looks pretty cool. Good price and a very capable SoC.

Hopefully Linux support improves, as this could be a nice little miniPC for light tasks.

Benjamin

It doesn’t really offer much more for +3$

I do wonder if this new box uses s905 or s905x

Stane1983

@Benjamin
Based on video specs its 905. And 905x will come with Marshmallow, not Lollipop.

Stane1983
4 years ago

I wouldn’t be surprised A95X name is chosen on purpose…

Dommels
Dommels

Quite compact too

RobBrownNZ
RobBrownNZ
4 years ago

Ordered. I have an ODroid-C2 and I’m enjoying playing with the S905. Also AmLogic is promising Marshmallow for S905 although I’m not holding my breath. It’ll be interesting to see what DRM support (if any) this box has.

RobBrownNZ
RobBrownNZ
4 years ago

Interestingly, at http://www.inexbox.com/nexbox-a95x-tv-box-another-s905x-tv-box-model/ it specifically says that the A95X has a S905X chip.

Sander
Sander
4 years ago

I ordered one too. I’m not yet sure what to do with it, but I really want to know what a company can produce for €25 including shipping.

Oh, and I hope there will be a 64-bit Linux for it. A 64-bit Linux box for €25 … wow!

cbm80
cbm80
4 years ago

Does it have analog audio output? I can see AV socket but I’m not sure. And I don’t understand stereo DAC feature introduced in S905X – in such case regular S905 wouldn’t be able to play any analog sound.

cbm80
cbm80
4 years ago

So regular Linux from SD card will work on this TV Box?

Theguyuk
Theguyuk
4 years ago

I have a minim8s s905 they are good with Android 5.1.1 and 2gb ram . The s802 is faster with graphics in 3Dmark but the minim8s runs cooler. I also use it with a clone Arduino uno r3 with app, so in effect its GPIO.

Fossxplorer
Fossxplorer
4 years ago

So what they mean is that the current A95X ships with S905, but in the future they might come with S905X?
What a confusing answer yeah!

Stane1983
4 years ago

Based on specs I have, S905 and S905X are NOT pin to pin compatible chips (as S802 and S812 were) so unless they’re going to make new pcb design and sell it under same name…

Fossxplorer
Fossxplorer
4 years ago

Hmm, then their answer doesn’t make sense at all!

Rambler44
Rambler44
4 years ago

Waiting for the octo-core to release after Q2, please NEXBOX.

RobBrownNZ
RobBrownNZ
4 years ago

Well, thanks for making the effort… even if it only makes things less clear! I guess S905 is the most likely outcome at this point. I’m quite happy about that, because I don’t really want to be hacking on two different chips.

cbm80
cbm80
4 years ago

Finally I decided to buy Mini M8S available for less than $32. This cheap S905 Android box has 2GB of RAM and BT 4.0 which can be helpful.

Leon Mozie
Leon Mozie
3 years ago

Where can I buy the mini m8 with 2 rams?

Sander
Sander
4 years ago

I just got a mail from Banggood: “Your order was shipped out. ”

Now let’s wait 3 weeks …

fossxplorer
fossxplorer

Better pay $5 more and get 2GB RAM with Mini M8S 🙂

cbm80
cbm80

@fossxplorer
Currently rather $6 because ebay seller raised the price. Unfortunately I noticed too late that M8S has no analog output which I need to watch movies on the projector. So I purchased also A95X 🙂 $27 is ridiculous price for such nice piece of hardware. Let’s hope firmware will be more mature than most other S905 boxes released a few months ago.

RobBrownNZ
RobBrownNZ
4 years ago

My A95X arrived yesterday – 8 days shipping to New Zealand, pretty good! I can confirm that it has S905 rather than S905X, and it has Widevine L3 DRM.

Personally I wish I’d got a Mini M8S, but in any case, it’s a cool little box 🙂

Chile
Chile

@RobBrownNZ

Can you tell me how good is Wi-Fi reception of A95X and does preinstalled Kodi works good because I know that in Nexbox MXQ Pro who also have S905 there was problems with Kodi? And why would you wish you’we got a Mini M8S, A95X that bad or because of 2GB or ram on Mini M8S?

RobBrownNZ
RobBrownNZ
4 years ago

@Chile I’m having no problems at all with Wi-Fi, watching 720P h.264 videos from a NAS etc. The distance from router to A95X is about 10m, through one wall. The pre-installed Kodi is no good for me, because it gave errors loading the DVBLogic PVR plugin. I installed SPMC from the Play Store and it’s working fine. 2GB RAM and built-in Bluetooth were the reasons I would like a Mini M8S. The A95X doesn’t even seem to have Bluetooth enabled in the kernel, as I haven’t found an external Bluetooth adapter that will work with it.

Dartigo
Dartigo
Rambler44
Rambler44

@RobBrownNZ
Would be nice with one that had L1 if they could make one for us who stream a bit of Netflix, but that is just my own egoistic needs. Probably will never know but I will pay attention to the S905X etc as I need at least VP9 for YouTube use and if it doesn’t play officially in their player I’ll say screw their app and use a 3rd party one to playback video (not from play store)

Chile
Chile

@RobBrownNZ

Ok, I ordered A95X. Thank you for your reply. BTW Here is review confirming that this box is really good for it’s price: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUCIFRARr1M .

KiwiBloke
KiwiBloke
4 years ago

I just ordered a A95X because of these reviews and also the YouTube video from Redskull. I got it from Banggood for NZD$39.32 including insurance on the 23rd June 2016. It will be interesting to see how quick it gets here.

JoeyJones
JoeyJones

Received mine yesterday. Sometimes my Sony-TV becomes purple/green 🙁

Jeep
Jeep

He guys!

I ordered one too, really excited to play around with such a cheap piece of hardware.

A questions: can I just add add-ons to KODI within the system or do I need to download them from another source and manually install them? Have no idea 🙂

Any other cool things I should try with this device?

Tnx!

KiwiBloke
KiwiBloke
4 years ago

Received my TV box today (2nd July) that’s 9 days from China to New Zealand, awesome! I’ll come back with my thoughts on it’s performance in a few days.

KiwiBloke
KiwiBloke
4 years ago

Well I’m very impressed with this wee TV box. I’ve been mucking around with it for a couple of hours and it hasn’t missed a beat. Actually I’m writing this post on it now and it’s good as gold to surf the web with, I’m using Opera. I already have a dedicated Kodi box so I’m mainly using the A95X for the YouTube and Netflix apps and they both work perfectly. I had a play with Kodi before I deleted it and it seemed to work okay. It had a heap of stuff already installed but I added the Livestream… Read more »

mdel
mdel
3 years ago

I wanted to add a few details about the device after tearing it down, sorry no pictures (later), looks like all my camera devices decided to die last week. So the board is 7.5cm x 7.5cm (the box is 9.2cmx9.2cmx2cm, no power button), very tiny compared to regular “MXQ” boxes. – labeled “v1_0 20160524”, on the back there’s a sticker showing : A95-S905 – 1G/8G – RTL8189ETV – 20160601 – eMMC : KLM8G1WEMB-B031 (“SMART Brazil”, Samsung? standard eMMC 5.0) Samsung specs are not very impressive but the read speed 100MBs / 2500 rand iops, are relatively good which would explain… Read more »

KiwiBloke
KiwiBloke
3 years ago

@mdel

No worries.

My Kodi box is a HP T5740 Thin Client which has an Intel Atom N280 1.66Ghz hyperthreaded processor, with Intel GL40 chipset and I added 3GB DDR3 Ram, a Transcend 128G SATA3 2.5″ SSD and a Broadcom BCM970015/BCM70015 HD Crystal Hardware Decoder for 1080P playback.

It’s running OpenELEC and I have it set up sweet as, so there was no need to bother with Kodi on the A95X.

Here’s all the information I followed when I set mine up.

Karl Johnson
Karl Johnson
3 years ago

Can someone make a backup of firmware. I broke mine playing

mdel
mdel
3 years ago

@Karl Johnson
i could do that, i think i haven’t touched the stock android on the nand too much, could do a reset if necessary and also waiting for a second one in the mail, just in case.

i feel a bit stupid but, is there a standard way to do that nand backup ?

i’d also be interested to know how you “broke” it as i’m also tempering with it (from sd card only)

Karl Johnson
Karl Johnson
3 years ago

Thank you. I tried swapping out systemui with another one from a different box so I could get navigation and notification bar like I did in the past. Broke Android. I did flash another rom from a different box with same wifi but it is crap. If you have another on the way I would prefer to wait to get a perfect IMG. Twrp from freaktab should work. http://freaktab.com/forum/tv-player-support/amlogic-based-tv-players/16228-twrp-for-amlogic-devices. Or a dd to external sd or thumb should work. Adb can also work.

mdel
mdel
3 years ago

My second one was shipped on july 7 so it won’t get here before probably july 20 or later. I can do a system reset of my current box and dump it, i believe i only opened the existing apps, and kodi upated its numerous plugins, but i don’t think i installed anything on it, i’m pretty sure i didn’t even register a google account on that android. Anyways i’ll probably do a reset later today if i’m back early or tomorrow. I believe twrp has to be installed so it’s more intrusive than dumping from adb dd, but you’d… Read more »

sabai
sabai
3 years ago

Is there (or will there be) Openelec or Libreelec for this little box?

Karl Johnson
Karl Johnson
3 years ago

You dont even need to install TWRP. Just rename to recovery.img and place on your micro sdcard. Insert and use a toothpick to hold in the button in the AV hole. Then plug in power. Or if you are in android open a terminal emulator and type “su” then “reboot recovery” I have also found using this formatting tool will give you the best chance of the box recognizing the sd card https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/ I doubt openelec will come. John with Nexbox is pretty unresponsive to questions to help aid Openelec. You might be able to flash for another s905 device… Read more »

Advertisements