OSHCHIP is a tiny development board powered by a Nordic Semi ARM Cortex-M0 Bluetooth LE / ANT SoC that neatly fits on a breadboard, and beside wireless connectivity thanks to its 2.4 GHz radio, also provides up to 14 I/Os to interface with external hardware.
- Nordic Semi nRF51822 ARM Cortex-M0 MCU @ 16 MHz with 256KB Flash Memory, 32KB SRAM
- Radio – 2.4 GHz Radio with support for 4 protocols: Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) / Bluetooth Smart, Gazell, ESB (Enhanced Shock Burst), and optionally ANT
- Antenna – Built-in antenna, range is 10 to 20 feet, depending on environment (metal, desks, chairs, …)
- Expansion – 14 general purpose I/O pins. All peripherals (except the ADC) can use any I/O pin: UART, 10-bit ADC, Counter/Timers, SPI, I2C
- Security – AES Encryption, Random Number Generator.
- Misc – Temperature sensor, RTC, Watchdog Timer Quadrature Decoder, 3 LEDs,
- Power Supply – 1.8V to 3.6V
- Dimensions – N/A
The board is programmed via Serial Wire Debug (SWD) protocol using an SWD programmer. Software development can be done with Keil, GNU GCC, the Arduino IDE, or mbed, and documentation appears to be fairly detailed. OSHCHIP is also open source hardware and you can find all hardware design files on Github.
Philip Fredin, the board’s developer also made a presentation a few months ago at HDDG10.
OSHCHIP board can be purchased for $25 on Tindie.
Thanks to Nanik for the tip.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.
One Reply to “OSHCHIP Breadboard Friendly Bluetooth Smart Board Comes in a Tiny 16-pin DIP Package”
Heh, cute! Unfortunately nRF51822 modules are common and dirt cheap (AliExpress shows them around US$6). Also Nordic have recently come out with an nRF52 family, which have Cortex-M4F and built-in NFC for out of band pairing. So the form factor is the only interesting-ish thing about these.
Gotta love Nordic, though. They’re giving great support to developers using their products.