Versalogic Osprey “Embedded Processing Unit” (EPU) is a single board computer powered by Intel Bay Trail-I CPU modules with 2 to 4GB RAM, up to 8GB flash, dual Gigabit Ethernet, two mini PCIe slots, working at industrial temperatures (-40 to 85°C), and compliant with MIL-STD-202G military standard for shocks and vibrations.
- Intel Atom E3845 quad core processor @ 1.91GHz with Intel HD graphics or
- Intel Atom E3827 dual core processor @ 1.75GHz with Intel HD graphics or
- Intel Atom E3815 single core processor @ 1.46GHz with Intel HD graphics
- System Memory – 2GB or 4GB DDR3L (soldered)
- 8GB eMMC flash with E3845 model; 4GB eMMC flash with E3827 model; no flash for E3815 model
- MicroSD slot
- SATA 2.0 port with latching connector
- mSATA via mini-PCIe slot
- Single-channel 18/24-bit LVDS up to 1024×768 @ 60Hz
- Dual mini-DisplayPort++ with HDMI and audio support up to 2560×1600
- Connectivity – 2x Gigabit Ethernet ports with latching connector, network boot option
- USB – 1x USB 3.0, 4x USB 2.0, optional USB-to-audio adapter
- I/O expansion – 2x RS-232/422/485; 8x DIO; 1x I2C; 3x timers/counters
- Full-sized mini-PCIe socket with support Wi-Fi modems, GPS receivers, MIL-STD-1553, Ethernet channels, non-volatile flash data storage, and other plug-in modules (full or half size). USB, SATA, and PCIe signaling. Autodetect mSATA support.
- Half-sized mini-PCIe socket with support for PCIe and USB
- Misc – Watchdog, system reset, hardware monitoring, optional passive heatsink, cooling fan, and heat pipe connector plate, connector for RTC battery
- Power Supply – 8V to 17V (nominal 12V operation)
- Power Consumption – Idle: 5.3 to 6.1W; typical: 5.9 to 7.3W; max: 6.5 to 8.5W; ACPI S3: 1.2W (depending on model)
- Dimensions – 95 x 55 x 27.5mm
- Weight – 140 grams
- Temperature range – -40 to 85°C
- Vibration and mechanical shock – MIL-STD-202G methods 204, 214a, and 213b
- Altitude – Operating: Up to 4,570m; storage: up to 12,000m
The company provides support for Linux, VxWorks, Windows, Windows Embedded for the board. A wide range of accessories and mPCIe modules are also offered with the board including mini DisplayPort to VGA adapter, industrial temperature micro SD cards, and a choice of mini PCIe modules for networking, serial, analog and digital I/Os, GPS, SSD, etc…
VersaLogic Osprey EPU is designed for niche markets, and industrial and military certifications do come at extra costs, with the SBC starting at $937 for the single core “VL-EPU-3311-EAP” model, up to $1,237 for the quad core “VL-EPU-3311-EDP” model on Digikey. More details can be found on VersaLogic Osprey product page.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.
|Support CNX Software - Donate via PayPal, become a Patron on Patreon, or buy review samples|