NXP has just announced a modular IoT gateway solution for large node networks (>= 250 nodes) based on Volansys i.MX6UL system-on-module, supporting wireless communications protocols such as Thread, ZigBee, NFC through add-on modules, on top of Wi-Fi and Bluetooth 4.1.
- SoM – Volansys i.MX6UL 200-pin SO-DIMM module with:
- SoC – NXP i.MX 6UL ARM Cortex A7 processor @ 528 MHz
- System Memory – 256MB to 1GB DDR3L RAM
- Storage – 1GB to 4GB NAND flash, optional 4GB to 16GB eMMC flash, EEPROM for device info
- PMIC, Mbit Ethernet PHY
- Wireless Connectivity Expansion Modules:
- PN7120 explorer board for NFC
- Kinetis KW41 module for Thread support
- JN5169 module for Zigbee support
- 2x MikroBUS headers
- Baseboard connectors / features:
- Storage – 1x micro SD slot
- Connectivity – 1x 10/100M Ethernet port, Murata WiFi 802.11 b/g/n & Bluetooth 4.1 + EDR module with external antenna connector
- USB – 2x USB 2.0 host port, 1x micro USB OTG ports,
- Debugging – 1x micro-USB port for debugging, JTAG connector
- Misc – RTC, LEDs, user switch (for power on/off and NFC), and reset pinhole
- Power Supply – 5V/3A
- Dimensions & Weight – TBD
- Certifications – FCC/CE/IC
So you can select your own i.MX6UL module with the amount of memory and storage needed, and add wireless modules as needed to match your requirements. Volansys is also planning for LoRaWAN and Sigfox modules in the future. Beside the hardware, the gateway and modules all come with various software stack and documentation: A Yocto Linux BSP with drivers, an MQTT client library, a Thread Linux host software SDK, Thread and Zigbee device controller, registration with the cloud, and more. The companies also provide an Android app to manage the gateway, and firmware for Thread Kinetis KW4x end device. Alternative operating systems supported include OpenWRT and Brillo.
NXP Modular IoT Gateway is available now for $269 with the default configuration, and you’ll find more details with documentation and datasheets as well as a purchase link on NXP Modular Gateway product page and Volansys website.