Rockchip introduced RK3328 processor for TV boxes at CES 2017. The processor is based on a quad core Cortex A53 processor and a Mali-450MP is some other competitors such as Amlogic S9xx series, but what made the processor stand out is that it already supports Android 7.1, and includes a USB 3.0 port. A5X Plus Mini is one of the first TV box based on the processor, and the first “Chinese” TV box I’ve seen running Android 7.x Nougat.
A5X Plus mini specifications:
- SoC – Rockchip RK3328 quad core Cortex A53 processor @ 1.5 GHz with Mali-450MP GPU
- System Memory – 1GB RAM
- Storage – 8 GB eMMC flash + micro SD card
- Video & Audio Output – HDMI 2.0a up to 4K @ 60 Hz with HDR10 and HLG support, 3.5mm AV port with composite video and stereo audio
- Video Codec – 4K VP9, H.265 and H.264. 1080p VC-1, MPEG-1/2/4, VP6/8
- Connectivity – 10/100M Ethernet, 802.11 b/g/n WiFi
- USB – 1x USB 2.0 port, 1x USB 3.0 port
- Misc – IR receiver, power LED
- Power Supply – 5V/2A
- Dimensions & Weight – TBD (Fits in hand)
The box runs Android 7.1 with Kodi 17.1 pre-installed, and ships with an HDMI cable, a power adapter, an IR remote control, and a user’s manual in English. Sadly the Fast Ethernet makes the USB 3.0 port advantage pretty much useless, as the bottleneck will be the network.
Since it’s a new processor with a new Android SDK, I’d expect a few issues at least in the first months. If you are interested in the device, you can purchase it for $44 including shipping on Aliexpress.