After Wio Link and Wio Node boards, Seeed Studio has added a new board to their Wio (Wireless Input Output) family with Wio GPS board based on Microchip SAMD21 Cortex M0+ MCU for Arduino compatibility, and Mediatek MT2503 ARM7 processor for GPS, Bluetooth 3.0, and 2G (GPRS) connectivity.
Wio GPS board specifications:
- MCU – Microchip ATSAMD21G18A-MU ARM Cortex M0+ MCU @ 48 MHz with 256KB flash, 32KB SRAM
- Wireless SoC – Mediatek MT2503 ARM7EJ-S processor @ 260 MHz
- Storage – micro SD slot (shared with nano SIM slot)
- Connectivity (built-in MT2503 in Quectel MC20 module)
- Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR, 3.0 with SPP Profile and HFP-AG Profile; u.FL connector for external antenna
- Quad band 2G GSM/GPRS with u.FL connector for external antenna and nano SIM card slot
- GNSS – GPS + BeiDou + QZSS with u.FL connector for external antenna
- Audio – Speaker footprint (+/-), 3.5mm AUX jack with mic and stereo audio
- Expansion – 6x Grove Connectors (2x Digital, 2x Analog, 1x UART, 1x I2C)
- USB – 1x micro USB port for power and firmware update
- Misc – RGB LED, GSM power button, reset button
- Power Supply – 5V via micro USB port, 2-pin JST 1.0 header for battery
- Dimensions – 54.7mm x 48.2mm
- Weight – 45 grams; antennas add 9 grams
While you can already do much of the things achieved with Wio GPS using an Arduino board, and corresponding GPRS/GPS shields, Seeed Studio’s board offers a more compact solution, and access to over 180 modules via the grove connectors. The board can be programmed with the Arduino IDE, and in due time a Wiki will be setup showing how to get started with the board.
Wio GPS Board with tis three antennas (GPS, Bt, GSM) is available for pre-order for $39.90 on Seeed Studio, and shipping is scheduled for June 1st. The company also plans to released an 4G /LTE version in Q3 2017.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.
|Support CNX Software - Donate via PayPal or cryptocurrencies, become a Patron on Patreon, or buy review samples|