Shenzhen SDMC Technology launched DV8219-LTE Android TV box with 4G modem powered by Amlogic S905X processor a while ago, and the company is back with a new model called DV8230-AP LTE with the same processor, but running Android 7.0, and what they call a “4G LTE router function”.
SDMC DV8230-AP LTE specifications:
- SoC – Amlogic S905X quad core Cortex A53 processor @ up to 1.5 GHz with a Mali-450MP GPU
- System Memory – 2GB DDR3 RAM
- Storage – 8GB eMMC flash (4 to 64GB as option) + micro SD card slot
- Video Output – HDMI 2.0a, 3.5mm AV port
- Audio Output – HDMI, AV, optical S/PDIF
- 10/100M Ethernet port
- 802.11 b/g/n WiFi (Dual band optional)
- Optional Bluetooth 4.0
- Built-in 4G Module + SIM card slot
- 2x dBi external antennas
- USB – 2x USB 2.0 ports
- Misc – IR receiver; LEDs; standby key; reset button; WPS button
- Power Supply – 5V/2A
- Dimensions – 120 x 120 x 28 mm
- Temperature Range – 0~40℃ (operating)
Apart from the extra RAM, the two external antennas, and WPS button, I could not see the difference with the previous model. Most Android TV boxes already support “portable hotspot” mode allowing to share an Ethernet connection over WiFi. So for example, if you are in a hotel room with Ethernet only, and happen to have a TV box with you, you could connect it to add a WiFi hotspot for your smartphone.
Since initially the company did not clearly explain that router function in their website, I tried to ask them for more details about the hardware and software related to that function, and after several email exchanges, I could find out there’s a “router module” inside the box, and that “you can still use the WiFi function when the box is in standby.” Later on, the company mentioned the box is using Topwell DXS-WRM50BC module powered by Mediatek MT7628NN CPU, and while I could not find details about that model, it’s probably a card like AsiaRF AP7620-MPE-1, but maybe not with an mPCie connector, that runs OpenWrt or an another Linux based OS.
You could visit the product page, but you’re unlikely to find many more details there. AFAIK, SDMC does not sell to individuals, only to resellers and distributors.